1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Why No Closers In Fastpitch?

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by MavFan25, Apr 2, 2007.

1. MavFan25

MavFan25 Junior Member

I'm curious to get folks opinions on why fastpitch does not utilize "closers" like baseball does. Obviously, we have a lot of dominant pitchers in fastpitch. Baseball managers do not typically remove a pitcher throwing a shutout either. I realize baseball also utilizes a pitch count, etc. So, there are some inherent differences in the game.

I found myself thinking about this topic while watching a HS game last week. The visiting team had a 5-0 lead entering the home team's last at bat. The home team scored one run and had the bases loaded to end the game. I see this a lot in both HS and travel ball. Many pitchers seem to get through the opposing team's lineup two times without much trouble. But, the third time through gives them fits. The re-entry rules in fastpitch give a coach more flexibility than baseball. Obviously, if you have one pitcher that is superior to the rest of your staff, then you stick with her. But, many teams' #2 pitcher is close to their #1 pitcher. So, you do not have a dramatic drop off. It would seem that giving the opposing team a different look from time to time might prove beneficial... Food for thought.

2. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

relief pitchers??

heck, most of us are happy to have one pitcher who can hit their mark. i would give a bundle for a relief pitcher or someone who could close. most teams in our conference are like this. but things are getting better every day, more girls learning to pitch and getting stronger and smarter. someday i might even have a bull pen to look at. lol

3. Softball Guru

Softball Guru Banned From TBR

I think that the reason you don't have closers,because parents don't want their kids to look like number 2 as a pitcher...personally I would not have a problem with my kid being a closer if she was a pitcher...I think that it would be beneficial to a team to have a closing pitcher, so that the opponent would see variable pitching...object: get your opponent off balance and the majority of the time you will win the game...

:boxing_smiley:

4. chachacha

chachacha Full Access Member

Most strong pitchers are as good in the 7th as they are in the 1st. If softball goes to 9 innings I believe you would see closers being developed.

5. MavFan25

MavFan25 Junior Member

Very true, some are actually stronger. I know my daughter throws better her second or third game of a travel tournament than she does her first game. I guess it takes her a long time to truly get loose.

6. EastOfRaleigh

EastOfRaleigh Full Access Member

not in college as well

pretty rare to see a closer, even in college softball.

7. bothsportsdad

bothsportsdad Full Access Member

cheese hit it.. not enough pitchers.. and even then the coach would have to deal with angry pitcher's parents when she was taken out.

8. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

Very true bothsports, very true

9. softball4ever1987

softball4ever1987 Proud Mama

Well first this isn't baseball!

There are loads of coaches out there that believe in the "let's throw them off" theory, you know, we'll use this pitcher for a couple innings and then switch to another and this works sometimes! There are also loads of coaches that never let a kid pitch an entire game. When they never get to pitch an entire game they don't build stamina and it hurts their confidence level badly! If a pitcher thinks you don't have faith/confidence in her, she will lose confidence in herself sometimes! Then there are the coaches that pitch the same kid until her arm is destroyed or she burns out! If you have more than one pitcher use them wisely! Know each pitcher, know how they think, how they tick! Some kids don't mind be a opener or closer. Some don't handle this well at all!
    I think for the most part coaches should know their players and help them to know their limits and boundaries! Not every kid that can throw every game, wants too! Not every pitcher is a closer or starter! Pitchers come in all sizes, temperments, attitudes and abilities! Some have that go for the kill attitude and some are just, get the job done! Some pitchers don't want to feel like they are stealing time from other pitchers and some couldn't care less about someone else's time! Know your pitchers!
    In closing, in fastpitch you are dealing with girls, most often, and girls are not like boys, in any WAY! Different breed all together!
    If you only have one, then you shouldn't have a problem, until she is injured and can't perform! Not a bad suggestion, to at least work with one other kid and have her where she can at least throw a ball, somewhere in the area of the plate! You have that side of the coin and then there is the other side of the coin, TOO many pitchers on the same team! Either one offers there own bundle of problems!

10. beachmom

beachmom Full Access Member

easy answer to this one

yes mav., the "throw them off routine" does have merit. the key to this theory of foolery is messing with a batters timing, right? i'd like to think that these hot shot pitchers can work the "timing issue" with eyes closed. for me, i'm sticking with my ace. my opinion only friend. play safe.