1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

What do YOU think makes a good travel ball Tournament?

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by WNC_ISA_Fastpitch, Feb 27, 2008.

1. WNC_ISA_Fastpitch

WNC_ISA_Fastpitch Junior Member

I would like to know what you think makes a good tournament.

What do you look for when choosing a tournament to play in?

What should be done differently and how?

I want some honest answers from the people who matter. The coaches, parents, and players.

:feedback: Thank you for your answers and ideas.

www.playisa.net

2. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

one of the biggest problems i've faced in the past is scheduling games. such as getting there at 8am, waiting until 2pm to play again and then having to wait until 8pm for another game. usually this happens with one or two fields open and no one playing on them.

but my biggest pieve is having a 9pm game and having to be back at 8am...just not fair to the girls in most cases.

jmho

3. marlinfan1

marlinfan1 Full Access Member

My 2 cents......

.....go like tihs. If tourn. is showcase, then it has to be a marketable arena for the kids. How?, right time and place. A good example here lately is the crap about the Dynamite classic at the same time as the States. Both of these events have value and their scheduling issues will be worked out. They are both fastpitch arenas showcasing topnotch talent that will be watched by many college coaches. Also, A+ teams look to tourn directors to place their teams in the "must see game" bracket. As for TB trophy age tourn., I'd like to see a GOOD effort by whoever makes up teams schedule to NOT play these kids at 8 am and then have them play at 7 pm. Blocking or grouping teams by talent AND game times makes sense to me.

4. central-d

central-d Full Access Member

Did the travelball for years. To me the best ones were the ones where we just went played for fun and tried to win the tourney. we played a couple of the showcases and they do have their place but my girls liked it better when they were playing for something. We went to win and played just for the fun. To much emphasis put on playing to get in college. I have found that this come many times from the parent who just wants to say my kid played in college. Many girls can get money to play in college but very few get a big amount when compared to what they can get from academic and grant money. Sorry kind of got off subject.
    A good tourney consist of good facilities, good schedualing of games, and one thing that the kidds would like is at least 1:30 minutes for time of games

5. marlinfan1

marlinfan1 Full Access Member

I agree.....

....with playing for fun (ALWAYS) and trophies if thats what a team or players goal is set out for. Is there too much emphasis on "playing in college"? As a matter of fact, its quite the contrary. Kids who are interested in playing in college have got to get up off their butts and email coaches. And, those programs who spend $, time and efforts, be it the players, coaches or parents, who have a goal to the college ranks HAVE GOT to be a aggressive in getting their players seen. I know this comes over a little harsh but its the truth. We, TB in NC and SC have made huge strides in the development of our talent and its just now being recognized. Our kids have caught up or maybe passed by some of the "west" kids. What is a good tournament? One that hands out trophies in the end..........Plastic figurines or National Letters of Intent!!!!!!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  6. erms

erms Full Access Member

The BEST tournaments are the ones when it's all over , the kids are still excited and can't wait until they get to play again!!!

ERMS

7. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

excellent point erms

8. LDFRDGUY

LDFRDGUY Banned From TBR

NSA

STATES AND WORLDS THAT NSA DOSEN'T CANCEL ON A SUNDAY BECAUSE OF A THUNDER STORM AND WHEN WE LEAVE THE SUN IS OUT. NO EFFORT. OOOOOPS :silly2:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  9. Softball Guru

Softball Guru Banned From TBR

UH_OH

Penalty..."You just stepped OOB!!" Pay the Fine, or No TBR for 2 weeks !!!

:sign0096:--- GURU

10. MavFan25

MavFan25 Junior Member

- Always look for tournaments with a good number of teams entered. It is nice to not play the same teams week in and week out.
    - Absolutely hate playing first bracket game against team we played in pool play, especially if it is a blind draw (this is easily managed).
    - Like to see some sort of field maintenance during the course of the day.
    - Don't like drop dead time limits, even in pool play.
    - Pet peeve... Stop play on ALL fields if lightning is in the area. Also, be consistent in stoppage of play for sloppy field conditions. Hate to see game on field A stopped, while play continues on field C.
    - Folks have mentioned having to play early morning game following late night game the prior night. I couldn't agree more.
    - Also, at some point the kids need a break for a meal and some rest. DD has played 5-6 back to back games in some tournaments. That is ridiculous.
    - I believe almost all associations have this now. But, a good website with accurate information is essential (teams playing, format, time limits, etc.).