1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

UMPIRES

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by ucballer, Jul 4, 2010.

1. ucballer

ucballer Full Access Member

How many QUALITY games can an umpire do in one day?It seems there is a contest to see how many games they can do in a day.The more games the more pay kinda deal!!! Should there be a limit of games per a day for them or should there be two shifts of umps 6hrs in the morning and 6hrs in the evening.I by no means would want there job but to make things fair and to get quality games for the girls should these things be looked at?There is just so many bad calls or calls being missed because an umpire is ready to go or is tired.

2. jjsphotos

jjsphotos Full Access Member

definitely should be a limit. maybe so many in a row and take -2 min off.

especially since we are talking summer in long pants, and behind the plate gear.

if you could do 2 and rest inside for 1 or 2 all day wouldnt be bad. at night i could maybe see 3 or 4 in a row as a max.

3. softballphreak

softballphreak Full Access Member

Seems to me that this is something that should be the business of the officials. I haven't seen many calls that I would blame on weather conditions. In large tournaments I have seen umps take a game off on some kind of rotation it seems.

What could be considered much worse is when teams play 3 to 5 games back to back. Been there with teams that have done that; in extreme heat even. The umps didn't do that, the girls did!

Playing 2 or 3 games in a row is common with teams; don't know whether umps do that or not; especially home plate ump.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  4. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

most do a three game rotation, one behind plate, one in field and one off with a two man crew, three man crew is just one extra game.....

5. ATrain

ATrain Junior Member

Most BIG tournaments during the summer are either 2 on 1 off or 1 on 1 off and as for smaller tournaments it could be as many as four in a row, just depends on how many umpires are working that particular tournament. Everyone gets tired and I think people should really look at the time limits for these games, I've had many teams tell me they don't want to play for an hour and forty minutes so whats a good time limit for pool and bracket play?

6. COACH RICH

COACH RICH Rich

One on One off.
    After a long day in the heat with game after game the ump's get the games behind {ASA State} and don't make wise decisions and calls.
    In one of our games late at night, about 1 1/2 hour behind, it was a play at 1st, ump made call, parents said come on blue, this ump replied wait until the next one. {DP}

7. ucballer

ucballer Full Access Member

yeah

He must be a cousin of the crew that worked the gate at Walnut Creek.I don't know where they get theses people listening to music laying heads down on tables instead of greeting people.Food in the concessions and people just as bad!! Those kind of umps are just there for the money not because they like it.

8. softballphreak

Let 'em play about a half hour. Then they'll have time to go watch the World Cup or something.

Better yet, they could stay home and not waste their time.

Maybe there are just too many teams trying to play too many games.

I've always said about basketball if they put a 10 minute time limit they could get in many more games.

9. softballphreak

In a real tournament there are going to be starting time adjustments. I doubt that contributes to bad calls, though.

10. marlinfan1

marlinfan1 Full Access Member

.....i'm not dissin' you ucballer on the folks at the 'ticket table", i actually heard a conversation from a guy getting paid to sit down and take money, he was bitching about not getting a break every hour or something like that.

As far as the concessions at Walnut Creek, they are hands down the best I've seen offered.

We all know that propping individual enterprise is frowned on by TBR and I'm cool with that but in the interest of this thread and the added concessions blast I'll ask ya'll this, .........if you were at a ballpark and could get a ham, brie cheese, and tomato sandwich, with a side of pasta salad or fruit as one option....
    ...or they had pulled pork sandwiches, meatloaf sandwiches, avocado BLTs....

...all served with some garnish like strawberrys, etc. for $7 bucks

...would you say the concessions sucked?

The ham, brie cheese, tomato on a paninni was AWESOME!