1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Tryouts????

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Braves, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

In December? Kinda late in the year isn't it? Just two years ago there was nothing going on across the state except Coach Kenny May's boot camp in December. Most kids shutdown after October and got ready for winter workouts.

I'm just curious because I never recall seeing them before in December and there are some that follow the day after Christmas. I'm just wondering why there are so many at this time of year, when historically they happened in November and the spring. Don't you want to evaluate players at their best? And how can a player that shutdown after October, be able to demonstrate their skills at their best in December.

I'm not talking about recruiting players. Obviously, in those cases you have seen their talent in a competitive environment. But to fairly evaluate a player attending a tryout this time of year is a bit of a stretch isn't it?

I dunno...I guess this is what is referred to as the '"evolution of showcase baseball."

EDIT: I should say that it caught my eye in the softball forum first. But I noticed it in baseball, too.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  2. JM15

JM15 Moderator

I don't get it either Braves. I know of one kid who is a 2010 graduate who really needs to shut it down more than anything, BUT he keeps getting invited to tryouts/workouts at various schools just about every single weekend of November, December and January.

Shut it down and miss an opportunity to workout for a select coaching staff?

Workout and continue to put wear and tear on your body heading into another stretch of Spring-Summer, and in this case... a first fall season in college?

Enough is enough at some point, right? More than a handfull of guys (pitchers especially) hurt theirselves more during this time of the year than they help theirselves. Why go to a workout and top out at 82 when you were sitting somewhere like 86 all spring/summer because your arm is about ready to fall off?

Go play basketball or something, get some rest, eat some good food... But continue to get some swings on a tee or with soft toss... long toss once a week or so... and come out ready to go on Feb. 15. :gun_bandana:

3. Gman13'sdad

Gman13'sdad Full Access Member

Braves, as you pointed out over on the"yeller" ball thread... is baseball beginning to reflect softball with the number of "showcase" teams sprouting up? If the number of teams is diluting the talent pool will baseball get to the point where the recruiters/scouts will have to sift through the rosters to separate the "clutter from the class"?

Hopefully, the DB's, the Canes, the Cubs and the SC Panthers will be able to maintain their historical quality and national reputations.

4. Gman13'sdad

Jere, if the kid is an '10 then maybe this is his best chance to get an offer before his senior season begins and that could be a positive thing. He could then focus on grades and school ball without having that "Am I going to get signed" weight on his shoulders.

Maybe it would help if this young man just picked three school to go work out for. He needs to define which schools he really wants to attend and which schools seem to be the most interested in possibly making him an offer... as the old saying went,"let your fingers do the walking", in this case he needs to let "his mouth do the talking"! Ask those coaches where he stands in their recruiting needs.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  5. JM15

JM15 Moderator

good point and i believe that is the mindset he's in. unfortunately for him, that's the way it's gotta be. for those guys already committed/signed, consider yourself very fortunate.

I agree there are beginning to be too many showcase teams/events as well. Never thought about it relating to softball but it really sounds like that is what baseball is becoming.

I'll stick to my guns. Legion ball in the summer, then play some weekend showcase events in the fall.

6. HomeRunHomer

HomeRunHomer Full Access Member

Unfortunately, I believe you guys are right, the number of teams has exploded, reminds me of those last few years of AAU. Really not sure how the college scouts will cover this in the future. The talent level really varies now, as was seen on some of the clubs B, C and D teams in the fall. I am sure the college guys are already talking about it, we shall see. Anyway, Feb. 15 not far off now, boys just need to be conditioning, I would hate to see a kid blow his arm up trying to impress a coach in mid December, just my thoughts. I love some baseball.:xmastree:

7. gkg

gkg Full Access Member

Being involved with running a youth league, this is the way things will be and continue to expand to my dismay. Find it amazing how many kids at age 9 and under believe they need to go and start playing travel only ball with the belief that it will enhance their opportunity to play later (or that's at least what their parents say). No more staying in a league and working to make the all star team when you can simply start a travel team. The problem is that they do not have practice facilities and most do not practice a lot.

In Wake County, you now even have middle school baseball club teams with multiple teams at some middle schools so more kids can play for their school. Started club baseball at West Millbrook MS in 1997 with the hope that it would become a school team which it has. What has resulted in club at other schools is definitely not what I envisioned (these teams even have fall and winter tryouts).

Here is the problem - now a kid has a lot better chance of making his middle school team and also play on a travel team (without having to work on his game as much as he should) so should he not make the high school team, his parents think he should when he gets cut. But guess what, if he does not - no problem, there will be plenty of showcase teams (similar to the explosion of AAU, USSSA and all the other alphabet organizations that are out there) that will be able to take him.

Braves, the same mentality of the travel baseball for younger kids is coming to the upper high school level. I am sure you will find youth baseball tournaments being held this weekend accross North Carolina as well as the next. They may take a couple of weeks off in January and will start back up with an ICE tournament somewhere. So now these parents move up and showcase will be a 365 venue because you don't want to miss an opportunity to be seen.

I imagine you will see more college teams hosting multiple showcase camps where they invite kids they are interested in and make money off the kids they are not. Parents will be glad to pay for their son to go because they will be afraid their kid may get overlooked.

In the mean time, I plan to keep working to improve our youth league by getting more practice time and improving instruction hoping the kids will want to work to make an all star team.

8. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

You're the man gkg!!!

I understand if it serves an area that is not covered by a team, but we've gone from 4 legitimate showcase teams in 2003 to 78 last year that participated in tournaments; kinda dilutes the water and is giving the college coaches headaches---most now are being very selective in what tournaments to attend.

9. JTbaseball

JTbaseball Full Access Member

Is it anyone else...

Or maybe its just me...(and my job, my wifes job, my wifes shopping, my two little kids, life..etc) but my head spins when I think about amature baseball. From T-Ball to the college game, and everything in between....

I'm almost at a loss. But something just doesnt seem "right". :thinking:

10. Gman13'sdad

The top level showcase organizations need to get past any differences, put their heads together and only field teams made up of high level players. These guys that run these organizations know what kind of players are needed to do that. They also know the level of competition needed to showcase these players at their best. There needs to be a realization that NOT EVERY PLAYER CAN COMPETE AT THIS LEVEL! It's getting kinda like in the school systems where I call it "striving for mediocrity".

I truly believe that these guys didn't start their teams/organizations with the first thought being "Hey, I think I'll make some money doing this". They were more interested in quality baseball first... and the recruiters and scouts recognized it.

This certainly doesn't mean that one of the "new" teams can't get to this level. They should though, have to prove to the "top dogs" their standing by going to East Cobb, Ft. Meyers or Jupiter and start bringing home some top 10 finishes. Until that happens the established programs need to stick together, battle each other, kick butt nationally and keep the recruiters/scouts coming back for more.