1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

transfering

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by catchingheat, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. catchingheat

catchingheat Banned From TBR

Why shouldnt a player chose the high school that he wants to play for? I hear about guys that want to play for a coach or team but cant because of high school eligibility regulations.Let them play where they want. If they do transfer they dont need to be held out for a season.

2. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Oh lordy....I hate when this C-a-n gets opened. Someone always gets hurt. Please do not bring any specific names into this thread

TIA

3. Plate Dad

Plate Dad It is what it is!!!!

This is not the pros (even there they have contracts). You need to have some kind of critia. Let's just let them play makes no sense. Let them play without holding a passing grade. If anything high schools should police themselves better and hold all students to high social and acedemic standards. Some will say what about the player that moves from out of state or has a life changing event. Is it a penalty to him/her (depending on the sport)? If you change jobs do you not have some type of penalties occur? Loss of vacation time, years of serve, ect. The same standard must be applied.

4. Plate Dad

Had to Braves. :taz::taz::taz::taz:

5. One Putt

One Putt Full Access Member

Parents should do what is best for their child. I know that is my intention as a parent. We lost a great kid at our school and gained a great kid at our school this year (actually gained 2; kid transferred from Colorado). We hated to lose a close friend that the kids had played with since T-ball but everyone understood and feel the parents did the best thing for their child. We gained a great kid and they also were just doing what they thought was best for their child. There's always two sides to these things and seldom does everyone except the people involved have all the facts.

6. mythoughts

mythoughts Full Access Member

is going somewhere just to get easy playing time something best for your kid? what about teaching them to Work for what the get. what about that thing called loyalty? i don't agree with the easy tranfering from one school to another, unless there is a LEGIT reason, not he didn't get to play enough, or something like that. why did your kid leave? why did the kid that came to you leave. betcha it is all about playing time (not talking about the kid from colorado) that seems like a legit reason:13:

7. One Putt

First, I'm not going to discuss each situation because as I said in my earlier post, most people don't have all the facts and that includes me. The situation at our school is none of my business. The kids just need to lace them up and go play.

I agree with all your points about loyalty (BTW, that goes both ways), working for something and all that. But sometimes we just don't have the whole picture. And instead of digging for it maybe we should just accept things and trust that parents did the best thing for their child and respect their decision.

There is one aspect to all this that I feel strongly about. You get one shot at a High School sports career. There are no do overs. In life you get a second chance at many things but HS is 4 years and that's it. Look at everything you can change.

Don't like your job? You can change
    Don't like your career? You can change
    Don't like your college? You can change
    Don't like your major in college? You can change
    Don't like your college degree? You can change and go back
    Don't like your church/religion? You can change
    Don't like your spouse? You can change (I'm not going there. I understand my vows so don't preach to me. I married a great lady.)

You can't go back to High School and do it over. You get 1 shot. While I hated to see the kid transfer away from our school, I can't blame him. I might have done the same thing if I were in his shoes. Once again I say, if you knew all the facts you might feel differently.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  8. Plate Dad

A few penalties that happen if you change
    Don't like your job? You can change You also lose vacation time, time on the job,
    Don't like your career? You can change Years of knowledge and back to the job ones
    Don't like your college? You can change If on the sport side playing time, must reprove yourself, scholly money.
    Don't like your major in college? You can change Possiable credits, added expense
    Don't like your college degree? You can change and go back expense, time present job or career
    Don't like your church/religion? You can change No Comment
    Don't like your spouse? You can change (I'm not going there. I understand my vows so don't preach to me) This is easy HALF

Now not saying that there are no positives but it is much easier to put it down than doing a lot of these.

Not sure about the career thing. Although I am sure that there are a few that has tried to make it that. If we look at HS for just sports. Then we need to insure that the kids that just could not make the roster because of number of player limits get the same chance to play. I am sure that there are many kids that did not make the HS team that are just fine today. And what about other kids that do not have the means to transfer to the great HS program and are stuck? I think that it is not so much about why someone transfers in but where. I do not think the word transfer applies to someone from out of state. I know we have super HS coahes out there but I do not see a kid transfering to a specfic school. If that be the case I am sure everyone would be heading to South Caldwell. So that does not wash in my opinion. I do agree that if someone wants to play at a certain school it should be done by the rules. If there is a waiting period then there is a waiting period as you say you are making the choice.

9. Mudcat

Mudcat gone

Things are not "always" what they appear to be. The grass is not always greener on the other side. How about those for cliche's. I could site examples but this is not the place. If it's gonna be done, it needs to occur before high school. Let's just say a kid transfers before his junior year in HS. 12 years down the road (guess what, he is probably not going to be in the pros), the class reunions start. Can he go back to the kids he attended school with for 10 years of his life? Does he attend one with a class that he really only got to know a few of them? There are a lot of things to consider, when contemplating transfers for a sport that is in the long run, is not gonna put food on the table and will produce "very few" life long friends in the grand scheme of things.

10. One Putt

If you lose a friend over changing schools my question becomes, "Were they ever a true friend?"

I can assure you that the kid that left our school has not lost any friendships among the baseball community in our school district. We miss him and wish him well. And the kids still socialize together.

Class reunions? Give me a break. I'm 47 and I've made two and that was enough. I keep up with the people I want to keep up with and I don't need a class reunion to do so.

Nobody holds anything against the kid that moved away. I still say we should respect parents to make the decision that they think is best for their child. Nobody needs to come to a baseball forum and be told how to parent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.