1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Top JUCO Baseball Programs in NC

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by namkrad, Nov 18, 2008.

1. namkrad

namkrad Member

To add on to coachbb45's post about the top D1 baseball programs in NC.

What JUCO's in NC do you consider having the best baseball programs in the state? Coaches? History? Success? etc, etc....

Thanks!

2. LClefty04

LClefty04 Full Access Member

If you base it off history then there are none finer than Louisburg JUCO.

You have Louisburg JUCO, Surry CC, Pitt CC, Wilkes CC, Rockingham CC.

Louisburg was built into what it is now by Russ Frazier. His overall record was 1034-390. He is an amazing guy to talk to and he is very inspirational individual to tlak to and to lsiten to his stories he has.

3. JM15

JM15 Moderator

Lenoir CC (Kinston, NC) has been to two recent JUCO D2 World Series' in Millington, TN.... finishing 2nd in 2008 and 5th in 2004. Playing D2 junior college ball is nothing to look down on them about, they still play a regular schedule against the Region X D1 teams, but when it comes post-season time... they play the other D2 teams (I believe it was money issues).

Louisburg JC
    Pitt CC
    Lenoir CC
    Surry CC
    Blue Ridge CC

Are my top 5. I think Brunswick CC is building something nice down there and could be tough in a couple years. If Wake Tech ever gets their program going, they will be a juco contender.

4. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

This is the school of my choice right now. They are outstanding!

Louisburg has a set a standard not easily matched and the rest of the schools mentioned are outstanding as well.

I'm going to keep my eye on Surry with my good buddy, Coach Lowe, at the helm. I'm expecting great things up there.

5. JM15

JM15 Moderator

I am wondering what kind of hit Lenoir CC will take once Wake Tech, Johnston Tech, and Brunswick CC really get going...

Coach Hartsell and Coach Wine run a good program down there at LCC, and I really stress to any high school senior who is "not sure" about their ability to play on the next level, to head to a JUCO program and get a feel for it. After the two years you spend there, you will know... physically and mentally if you have what it takes. I am not going to diss D2/D3 baseball, but in my own opinion... I am very happy with the decision I made to attend a 2 year school rather than a 4 year school I wasn't very excited about. It got me ready academically more than anything to chase after that NC State degree I had longed dreamed of.

6. Gman13'sdad

Gman13'sdad Full Access Member

Louisburg

I would think that Louisburg would take a hit with the growth of baseball at the Community Colleges. There used to be very limited options for a player who needed to improve his grades, or his game, so as to be able to move on to a four year program. That was when Louisburg was in it's hay day.

Now that the Comm. colleges offer baseball opportunities, as well as the guarantee that most all courses will transfer within the UNC system, Louisburg will lose more and more players. It ain't a cheap school to attend and their athletic scholarships are very limited.

Pitt, Lenior. Surry, Blue Ridge, Rockingham, Wilkes, Guilford Tech, Brunswick Southeastern, maybe Wake Tech in a few years (think I got 'em all) are a lot of competition for the same players.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  7. fish-ump

fish-ump Member

LCC

I would have to agree with LCC being on top right now, at least in the eastern part of the state. I have known Coach Wine for over 10 years now and I would recommend anyone to go and play for him. He is a fundamental nut! He is also very involved the education side of things, such as having his player's teachers let him know when someone is not in class and doing spot checks on his players at home. He is very passionate about baseball, his players and his school. With the backing from Coach Hartsell and the school, this will be the place to be for many years to come for kids who as it was stated earlier "are not quite sure".

As for Louisburg, with it being a private school and all these other state supported schools starting programs, it could very well be some long days ahead.

8. Diesel1

Diesel1 Stay Strong, Uncle Sam.

Lots of awesome JUCO programs in our State.. we are truly fortunate our kids have such awesome opportunities. From Coast to coast, NC is a great baseball state at ALL levels... there are great opportunities for those kids that want to continue to play and get an education. Regardless of which one you choose, it should be fun!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  9. TheOriole

TheOriole Full Access Member

only one...........

answer here period! It is LOUISBURG!

10. LClefty04

LClefty04 Full Access Member

I forgot Lenior. I remember playing them and they were starting at that point to get some quality ball players into the program and both years they got better and better. You have also mentioned other school's that have started programs which is good to see.