1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Tips For Cleaning Uniforms?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Diesel1, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Diesel1

Diesel1 Stay Strong, Uncle Sam.

Age old question...

...how to remove clay and/or blood from a baseball uniform? After 2 weeks into the season my wife has now made me equipment manager (i.e. clothes washer). I saw a thread a couple of weeks ago that mentioned a particular soap that worked. Anything else?

Bleach ain't cutting it and Oxyfresh or whatever it is just don't seem to get it.

Someone once told me about some stuff you could wash the uniform in (after you got it stain free) that would treat the uniform material, so that from there on, any clay or blood would wash right out, with minimal prep...I just can not remember for the life of me what it was though...

Here's to hoping I look like a hero in the laundry room!:bonk:

2. baseball junky

baseball junky Junior Member

gets out anything

greased lightning works on anything

3. anotherspartanfan

anotherspartanfan Full Access Member

Fels Naptha Soap

This is what I came up with in my internet search. I had a fellow teacher pick me up a couple bars from the Mast General store in Boone.
    After using everything in my house on last years red clay stains, this did take out a lot more. I will keep using it each week to see if they will eventually get white again. I think my son picked up Shane Clawson's pants from last year. Both legs were red all the way down. I wish I had taken a before and after photo.
    Do a search for "Fels Naptha baseball pants" and you'll see all the testamonials for this soap. I also found in my search, a lot of people recommend Awesome from the Dollar Tree. Yes I got that too!

[​IMG]

4. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Good feedback

5. baseballx3

baseballx3 Full Access Member

greased lightning works great, but whatever you do NEVER put the uniform in the dryer. It cooks the stain in. Always hang dry.

6. bbrksfan

bbrksfan Full Access Member

The best product i ever used:

WHITE OUT

Found in the laundry detergent section. It is a small thin bottle of powder.
    Dirtection: Disolve 1-4 -1/2 cup into large bucket.
    Fill bucket 3/4 full of HOT water
    Soak pants 20-30 minutes
    Start washing machine on Hot cycle
    Use standard detergent and bleach
    Dump contents of bucket into machine and wash normally.

For ground in stains: Presoak with a little grease lightning scrub with stiff brush.

My son was a pig on the field. Rarely did he ever come home with relatively clean pants. This product was a life saver for me, as I too was designated as the official "equipment guy"
    This product saved me hours during the HS season.

Warning: Do not use this product indoors (soaking) It stinks something terrible.

Sweat stains, grass stains, mud stains, BLOOD Stains- What's the level of your game?

7. bbrksfan

bbrksfan Full Access Member

Careful with the Grease Lightning....
    It will eat the skin right off your fingers if you keep them in the stuff long enough

8. Diesel1

Diesel1 Stay Strong, Uncle Sam.

Some great suggestions...keep'em coming....

His pants are grimed up after each game, so this will be several time a week thing...keep the great input coming...

(I/we had tried the "awesome" stuff before and didn't seem to work for us...not that it won't work, but maybe it's the type of clay, or the type of fabric)

I am going to find out the "pre-wash" stuff used by colleges (that I was told about before) and will let you all know...

9. DirtyMoBaseball

DirtyMoBaseball Full Access Member

Iron out

Iron Out is available at walmart and hardware stores. It is used by construction companies to remove iron stains which is what the red in red dirt is. It will remove the color from dyed thread such as the manuf lobo ir side piping, but not pin stripes. if used in small amounts piping may last. If the pants aren't bad, we just put in in with detergent in the wash, if they are bad, we pre soak.

10. dpa3401

dpa3401 Full Access Member

Cascade