1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

TBR Instant Classic: Recruiting, Showcases & Scouting

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Braves, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Let this thread be the one to ask questions about anything in regards to recruiting:

Early signing- late signing
    Recruitment videos
    National letter of Intent
    Rules for coaches/recruiting
    Timelines
    HS coaches - importance
    Showcase tournaments
    Best exposure
    ...any and all questions

We have some great members with a wealth of experience to help anybody interested in furthering their career in baseball

Ask away!!!!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2003
  2. SouthLoop

SouthLoop S.Charlotte BB Researcher

First of all with regard to high school recruiting, if you are a parent that has a high school baseball player that has high hopes of playing baseball at the college level, you must be aware of the things that you and your player need to be doing starting in the freshman year of high school. The easiest way for a parent and a player to know exactly what to do can be found on the http://www.hsbaseballweb.com website as more and more parents and players are finding out lately. This website has become my guide and savior and if those interested just go to this particular website, you will find all the answers and assistance that you could possible need with regard to high school recruiting tips and the “time line” lay-out.

3. SouthLoop

If your player is already a JUNIOR in high school, than you really need to be rocking and rolling at this time on that “time line” grid (as can be found on the http://www.hsbaseballweb.com)!

To the High School Junior Player: You will get very tired of hearing this ... but if you do not take care of your academics (grades) it will not matter how good you are on the baseball field. If your dream is to play college baseball, academics are a part of the package!

September:
    -Send out your first contact letters to a few preferred colleges. Some high school coaches will do this for you but it is really up to the player and the parent to make sure this job gets done.
    -Include a copy of your fall schedule (if available).
    -You may receive a general written contact back by the college coaches, which is allowed, with information regarding the college’s admission requirements, info on baseball camps, financial aid (in needed), etc.
    -Register with the NCAA Initial - Eligibility Clearinghouse (your high school guidance counselor should have these forms) or you can do it at NCAA Online as well.
    -Register for the fall ACT / SAT standardized tests ... most students take these tests at least twice ... try to avoid the spring dates, as they may conflict with your high school season Request that your ACT/SAT test scores be sent to the NCAA Clearinghouse (there is a box on the application form that you check for this).
    -Continue the fall and winter schedule as you did for your freshman and sophomore years. Do not let up on academics.
    Familiarize yourself with the NCAA admission / eligibility requirements NCAA Online or check with your school's guidance counselor.

Feb –March
    -Send out your spring high school schedule.
    -Prepare a videotape to be sent out when requested (do not send unsolicited tapes.
    -Plan visits to as many schools as possible this spring and summer.
    -Some schools have "Junior Days" during the spring season ... don't be shy… write a letter to the coach and ask about them.
    -All of these visits are "unofficial” which means that the college cannot pay for any part of the visit. These are done on your own.

Summer
    -Focus this summer should be on attending showcase events or college camps.
    -In this environment you will be able to gauge yourself against some of the best players at each camp. The college coaches will be able to do the same.

July 1st
    -Phone contact from college coaches is permissible.
    -July is team and player showcase month.

4. Braves

Great post Southloop...and thanks again for the info.

I recall someone stating what a college recruiter's first question was to a prospect--" What is your GPA and SAT scores"..then he either continued the conversation or thanked them and walked away.

Another Hot Topic involving recruiting is the Agent or "Advisor" to a top HS player ( D1 or drafted)...any thoughts?

5. SouthLoop

And...with further regard to high school recruiting...

If your player is already a SENIOR in high school, then your “time line” period is moving very rapidly along and your time is quickly running out at this point!

July-August
    -Seek out a team that plays fall "showcase" tournaments (pro scouts can be helpful with this). Do not let up academically.
    -Review core academic requirements with your guidance counselor. Make sure you are "on track".
    -Send out your fall baseball schedule.
    -If you do not think that you will sign in the early National Letter of Intent (LOI) period, usually the second week of November, request information on Christmas camps, especially from schools that you are most interested in or those that have shown an interest in you.

November
    -Early signing period -- dates vary slightly from year to year -- Check on the HSBBWeb Message Boards for current years dates.
    -Update college coaches on any changes to your fall schedule.
    -You can contact college coaches (by phone) at any time (prior to July after your Junior year they can not call you).
    -Continue your fall and winter schedule as you have in previous years.

Official Visits
    -If you are offered an official visit -- prepare for your visit with a list of prepared questions. Be prepared for any questions the college may have for you.

This is it! The year that you have been preparing for! Stay on top of things!

6. BudMan

BudMan Its about that time again

I played at a division three school for two years and ended up leaving. My advice would be for the player to pick a school he would like if he weren't playing baseball. You must understand that baseball only takes up three or four hours a day. That leaves you with 20 or 21 more to enjoy the college experience. You must follow your heart on this and try not to let anyone persuade you too much. After all, you are the one thats going to be attending the school.

7. Prepster

Prepster Full Access Member

Out of the innumerable pieces of advice we received throughout the recruiting process, that was far and away the BEST advice given us. Fortunately, it came early and from a highly credible, trusted source; so, we took it to heart and remained true to it.

It's extremely easy to allow the baseball dimension to overcome the broader part; but, when you consider Budman's reason and add to it the fact that a player can get to school and find that the situation changes radically (injury, loss of coach(es), etc.), you'd better be happy with the other aspects of your choice.

8. Papabear

Papabear Full Access Member

In my opinion, sending videos to prospective schools is a waste of time and money. The advice given to my son by a highly regarded coach and major league scout was the same. If they want to see you, they'll come look at you. An assistant coach from a D1 school in SC came up to me at a game last spring and wanted to know why my son wasn't interested in their program. I said "He was. He sent your head coach a letter with his stats, grades, and schedule on two different occasions and neither one was acknowledged". The coach replied sheepishly, "Well, you have to understand we receive a lot of letters from potential recruits." If a coach is too lazy to take the time to answer his mail or pick up the phone to call a recruit, it's unlikely he'll watch a video.

9. NCBBallFan

NCBBallFan Retired ex-moderator

Question

For the younger players (freshmen and sophomores) should they play legion or hook up with travel teams? I've heard there are advantages to both.

10. Braves

There is no question if you are looking to get in front of scouts, Legion ball is not the answer. Scouts do not have the time to attend. I talked to one scout the other day and this is what he said, " I went to one Legion game last summer and it was because my nephew was playing ". There is nothing wrong with Legion ball, but if you are interested in being SEEN, this is not the way to go. Put yourself in the scouts shoes. Why would you go to one game to see maybe one player, when your time can be used more wisely to go to a Showcase tournament where you can see multiple teams and players?..it just makes sense