1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Suspended for being a good coach!!!

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by genuinepimpjuice, Apr 26, 2005.

Should Monte Sherrill have been suspended for 2 games???

1. Yes

41 vote(s)
    38.7%
  2. No

65 vote(s)
    61.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. genuinepimpjuice

genuinepimpjuice Forum Fan

Whats this world coming to? When CC has a good coach who is turning things around for them, and people start getting mad at his 441-43 all time record so they complain about him "running up the score." Now, the Charlotte Observer has a quote of the Cabarrus County athletics director Scott Barringer saying that Sherrill was suspended because of a "personnel matter." But he will not comment on anything else. Two weeks ago, Sherrill battled West Charlotte at West Charlotte and scored 30 points in the first inning and 25 in the second, getting 43 hits. This man is a modern marvel to High School Softball and should not be punished for being a good coach with the desire to win.

2. CCFASTPITCH

CCFASTPITCH Central FASTPITCH

Facts

I was there. Here is a segment of the letter Sherrill wrote to the County A.D.
    1. Central only hit 2 innings in the game.
    2. The score is a direct result of the discrepancy in the talent level of the two teams. Not only is Central one of top teams in North Carolina, but is currently ranked nationally. On the other hand, West Charlotte has very little talent, and their coaching staff does nothing to correct or teach the game. I realize that West Charlotte’s players have feelings and try to the very best of their God given abilities to play the game, but my players work hard to display their skills too. Central’s line-up has several Division 1 players and other players are capable of playing in college at a lower level.
    Evidence of the examples in playing ability:
    •West Charlotte made 15 errors. If you really count miscues on relay throw, the errors would reach well into the high 20’s.
    •Central only “hit” the ball during the game. There were no drag bunts, delay steals, etc, were executed. I had the last batter bunt back to the pitcher to end the 2nd inning.
    •We only stole 6 bases, all early in the 1st inning.
    •We advanced on 4 passed balls. We scored 7 runs by the runner being forced home by the umpire after the ball deflected off of the catcher out of bounds. It was a difficult thing not to advance on passed balls. We work extremely hard on reading ball angles, so it becomes automatic that we advance upon reading the WP or Passed ball. At practice everyday, we teach the skill of reacting instinctively to misplays of the opposition. In fact, one of our players twisted her ankle reading the passed ball, then trying not to advance.
    •West Charlotte’s players had numerous opportunities to get us out at 2nd, but the West Charlotte player (2nd Baseman) thought you only had to catch the ball and tag the base instead of tagging the runner.
    •At least three times, the 1st baseman was thrown a ball on force plays and came off the base for no apparent reason.
    •Central only had ten players dressed. All started and all played.
    •We only batted for two innings. On average for the last 4 games against West Charlotte, we have scored 30 runs per game. We have only batted for two innings during the 3 of the 4 contests and three innings in the other.
    •(2) West Charlotte hitters entered the batter’s box without helmets. On another occasion, the coach had to run the players out of the stands while they were eating and “having a great time”.
    After the 1st inning, I asked the West Charlotte coach if she just wanted to hit and us (Central) play defense, she did not respond. I asked her again after the 2inning and she agreed, but I did not tell my players. As soon as we struck the 3rd batter out, our players came running off the field and West Charlotte’s out of the dugout, so the game just ended.
    •I had our hitter bunt the ball back to the pitcher for the last out.
    I would have gladly stopped play after the 1st inning

This was the letter sent from Sherrill. He gave copies to every player

3. EnkaJet04

EnkaJet04 Full Access Member

If these are the facts then I don't think Monte should have been suspended either. I think its a tough call to try to throttle a team down and gear them back up for a tough game against a better opponent. 55 runs....wow....I think maybe I would have had my batters show bunt and step on the plate to get out of the inning...out of the game....anything....

4. FP SUPER

FP SUPER Full Access Member

Lou Holtz once said, "I can't coach both teams."

5. pioneerpride01

pioneerpride01 Member

I have seen Sherrill call the dawgs off many times. Why are we talikng about this instead of all he has done for the community everywhere he has been. I know he will ahve his teams play and give money to families in need.

6. worktowin

worktowin Junior Member

Sherrill's team will work to win. They always play with class, and respect for the game. You would have to search long and hard to find someon that cares more for the sport and his players than Coach Sherrill.

7. acfan

acfan Full Access Member

When something rocks the water alot of frogs do some jumping. No matter what the deal (none of our business) some will be willing to jump on this. But they tend to forget the main focus of a sports program is the players. Keep the ole chin up girls and stay focused. There is alot of ball still to play!! :ylsuper:

8. HSFAN

HSFAN Full Access Member

COACH

WELL ,WELL I GUESS THE NEXT THING WILL BE THE BIG I FOOTBALL TEAM DIRECTED TO TAKE A KNEE AFTER SCORING 30-40 POINTS.bASKETBALL TEAMS TO BE INSTRUCTED TO TURN THE BALL OVER AFTER SO MANY POINTS, HARDING IN GIRLS BB LAST YEAR KEPT THE STARTERS IN THE WHOLE GAME ,I THINK IT WAS 30 TO 40 POINTS MARGIN ,WHERE WAS MR. BARRIGER THEN.I WAS AT THE LAST GAME AND HAVE BEEN AT EVERY SB GAME THAT CC HAS PLAYED WC SINCE WE HAVE BEEN IN THE MECCA 8 ,NOTHING HAS CHANGED AT THAT SCHOOL, LACK OF COACHING AND THAT HAS GOT TO BE THE AD'S FAULT. I DIDN'T SEE HIM THE OTHER DAY DO ANYTHING TO HELP HIS TEAM .AS FAR AS MR. BARRINGER I DON'T THINK HE HAS EVER BEEN TO A GAME TO SEE WHAT WAS GOING ON. LAST YEAR AT CC THEY DIDN'T GET OFF THE BUS UNTIL THE UMPIRES MET AT HOME AND THE COACH WAS ON HER CELL PHONE THE WHOLE GAME. SO WHERE DOES THIS END ARE THE AD GOING TO CONTROL THE SCORES IN ALL GAMES LEAST SOMEONE MIGHT GET OFFENDED.THE WC DOESN'T EVEN KNOW THE BASIC THINGS,CATCHING ,FIELDING,HITTING,AND PROPER EQUIPMENT TO EVEN WEAR. MULTI UNIFORMS THE WHOLE TEAM IS NEVER DRESSED THE SAME. ENOUGH SAID SHERRIL DONE EXACTLY WHAT I WOULD HAVE DONE ,STAND AT 3RD WITH HIS HANDS IN POCKET AND LET THE TEAM HIT.

9. inthathead

inthathead Full Access Member

Well said, HSFAN. I cannot help but to beleive that the somepeople are just jealous of success. They fail to realize the thing behind that success is hours of hardwork. Even the unedcated eye can see that a Monte Sherrill team is well coached in the fundementals. It takes a lot of his time. Parents often wonder why our kids have problems today. I beleive this case is a perfect example. People are simply jealous of the success CC is having right now. If you don't like it, get in the cage, and on the field work harder and try to beat them, on the field. This is not a mtter for the County AD to get involved in.

GOD BLESS AMERICA AND HER TROOPS

10. EnkaJet04

EnkaJet04 Full Access Member

Central's post said they only had 10 players dressed out and they all played...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.