1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

State Games ?????

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Plate Dad, May 12, 2007.

1. Plate Dad

Plate Dad It is what it is!!!!

:ears: Anyone heard who made the State Games. Not sure if they post it or not. Senior East-West team and the Underclassman region teams.

2. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

No...you will not find it posted anywhere. You have to rely on people from each region to post the participants.

3. One Putt

One Putt Full Access Member

Nathan Cash from Ragsdale was chosen. Catcher in the '09 class.

4. Plate Dad

Good kid. Wonder how they looked at the catchers. I'm sure they got pop-times. Just wondering how they looked at them blocking, set up and the other needs of the game behind the plate. Any word on pitchers.

5. One Putt

One Putt Full Access Member

I have no idea how the tryouts work although an endorsement is needed from your HS coach and it doesn't hurt to have endorsements from others. The application is on line if you care to look at it.

6. Braves

I don't mean to sound like a whiner because I'm not; but despite protests by others, most regions have pre-selected players. Not true everywhere...but in most regions. Then again, the coaches already know the players, so there is no reason for tryouts.

7. Plate Dad

I would have thought that the greater powers would select coaches and and give them some kind of training. Do not get me wrong. It is good to know the ablilties of a player. I would also if I was the coach go in with some sort of idea who. But I would think that the directors would warn against it. I understand that the seniors are more of a showcase of sighed players. I would expect that. As far as the underclassmen. These kids show a more of a cross section of the state. I think by not giving an equal chance to all it under mines the reason for the underclassmen. :deal2: :deal2:

8. Braves

Sounds good

9. Coach 27

Coach 27 Full Access Member

The fact is

they have a try out. The coaches volunteer to coach the state games. They take alot of pride in putting together the best team they possibly can. They watch them at the tryout and evaluate them based on arm strength , speed , velocity , fielding ability and batting practice. And in many cases they have seen the kids actually play. The top tier players will make the teams. It is always going to be tough to pick those last four or five guys. They do the best they can and sometimes someone will be left off that might deserve to make the team. That will always be the case. In the case of catchers they watch them catch the bull pens and how they handle the pitchers. They take the pop times and they look at arm strength as well. They have the 60 and batting practice as well. And of course they talk to the coaches that have played against your kid to see what he did in games. The fact is they get the best players. And the fact is sometimes they miss on the marginal ones that are still very good players. There is no perfect way to pick a team like this. If your looking for a perfect way to do it let me know when you find it.

10. TriadMan23

TriadMan23 Full Access Member

The only problem these folks have with the process is that the coaches hold these phantom tryouts to give the illusion that theres actually a real "tryout" for the team and that the top performers at the tryout will be the ones who make the team. The teams are normally pre-selected, which is fine in most cases, but I think they should pick the team without the hassle of pretending there's a tryout to get all the kids' hopes up