1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

SNEAK PEEK: Probable Playoff Match-Ups/Breakdown - 3A West

Discussion in 'Boys Basketball' started by LakeNormanFan, Feb 23, 2003.

1. LakeNormanFan

LakeNormanFan Full Access Member

The official pairings will be released late today (2/23/03) and should be in the Observer sports page tomorrow.
    Here's a sneak peek:

SECTIONAL 1:
    This sectional appears to be a coin-toss between Kings Mountain and Forestview who should face each other Friday night.

SECTIONAL 2:
    TC Roberson in a cakewalk.

SECTIONAL 3:
    The most interesting of the 4 sectionals. For the second straight year the officials at the NCHSAA prove they are total screw-ups. #1, undefeated, nationally ranked West Rowan is probably looking at going on the road-----and this year it's #4 state-ranked Trinity (Friday night).
    BUT WAIT: At this writing it appears that Trinity will probably face SPC tourney-champ Weddington Wednesday night. Weddington is a real dark-horse in this tourney ---- this hot team completely annihilated the competition last week. At the same time, West must resist the temptation to "look down the road" and not overlook the Asheboro/Parkwood winner (Asheboro gave WR all they could handle in the opening round last year).
    Despite the hurdles, West Rowan is still the favorite here.

SECTIONAL 4:
    The one team w/o a first-round bye that could advance to Hickory is Union Pines. They upset Trinity Thursday and destroyed East Randolph in the Tri-County last night. Like Weddington, they are a good dark-horse team but SPC regular season champ Anson County is looking to regain midseason form to stop them.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2003
  2. LakeNormanFan

Revised Break-down:

See the official pairings at Mens 3A West

Sectional 1: No change

Sectional 2: No change

Sectional 3: West Rowan plays E.Randolph/Parkwood winner.
    Trinity plays Brown/Anson winner. West will probably
    play at Trinity Friday

Sectional 4: Red-hot Weddington is in Red-Hot Union Pines bracket

3. falcon1

falcon1 Full Access Member

Thanks for the info. I haven't heard a lot about the teams that we may be playing wednesday and I have the feeling that most people, including Trinity fans, are looking ahead to a match-up between West Rowan and Trinity. I know coach Gurley is well aware of this and will have the Falcons focused on one game at a time. I keep hearing that we haven't played anybody and that our conference is weak. What's your feeling on this . Are we that much better that anyone else in the NPC or is the conference weak overall? Keep the streak alive , GO FALCONS!!!!!!!!!!!

4. falcon1

Have the game starting times been announced?

5. LakeNormanFan

starting times TBA

As far as the conference being weak is concerned, it is true. Last year the same comments came up and the only thing I could gauge the validity of WR's record by was an early win at Central Cabarrus (who went deep in the 4A playoffs last season) and the fact that the Falcons absolutely murdered the opposition. This year has been a question mark though. At times the Falcons look an awful lot like last years' squad and at other times they look vulnerable. The guard play has been great (after the loss of Mott early on this was a concern) behind TJ Gaither. West would already have 5-6 losses if not for him. West's big guys both have to play well and some 3-point action from Ramsey, White and Patterson is needed also. If West has all this and limits thier turnovers that could go all the way again. If not, it's been a great ride...............

Last edited: Feb 24, 2003
  6. falcon1

Well tonight may have answered the question about how weak the NPC is this year. 3 games and 3 losses. I know that isn't allways the case just something to think about. West is the only NPC team left and takes on Parkwood at the GURLEY DOME Wednesday night. If anyone has any info on Parkwood please post. Thanks. GO FALCONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. falcon1

Good article about West Rowan in todays Charlotte Observer sports page.

8. LakeNormanFan

Long overdue props from the Observer.......a good article nonetheless:rolleyes:

9. falcon1

Hey LakeNormanFan, do you have any info on Parkwood? I can't seem to find anything about them other than the recent game with Eastern Randolph and that doesn't tell me anything since I haven't been able to find out anything about ER. Thanks.

10. LakeNormanFan

All I know is that E Randolph got creamed by Union Pines Sat. night and Parkwood had to go into OT to beat them........If the Falcons come ready to play it should be no problem