1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Senior Night

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by packman, May 10, 2011.

1. packman

packman Full Access Member

I want to take a minute to brag on my son who last night probably played his last high school game unless we somehow manage to grab the wild card spot. He is not a super star who will go on to play at the next level. He was cut as a freshman, but battled back to make the jv team and earn a starting spot as sophomore and then landed a roster spot on the varsity as a junior and senior. He didn't receive a lot of playing time on varsity, but he has a love, appreciation, and understanding of the game of baseball that few can match. He earned the playing time he received through hard work and determination while battling against more gifted players. Hitting was never his strong suit, but he worked to be the best defensive outfielder he could be to earn time in spot situations. There was frustration at times as you would expect from anyone who is a competitor, but he never once considered quitting the game he loves as an option.

Last night in his final home game, he received only the third start of his varsity career. Going into the game he had appeared in a total of 24 innings and had three plate appearances....the last one over a month ago. In three plate appearances last night he went 1-2 with a sac bunt...he also reached on an error on the sac....and scored 2 runs in an 8-3 win. The smile on his face and the greetings from his teammates after he scored the second time will be a memory that I will always cherish.

His desire is to coach baseball after college. I know that I am biased as a father, but I think he is going to make a great coach. His heart and passion for the game will drive him to be successful. The trials and tribulations that he has experienced will help him to teach others. As a father I couldn't be more proud of him. He gave everything he had while never missing a practice, regular season game, or summer league game in 3 years as member of the program. It is tough knowing that he probably won't be taking the field again as a player, but I look forward to the day that I see him take the field leading his own team.

2. BigRedMachine

BigRedMachine Member

Congratulations

Congrats to you and your son! I'm glad he was able to end his high school career on a high note. He must have dedication and drive to have battled & earned his time on the field. Those qualities are so important as he prepares to enter the adult world and play his most important game--the game of "life".

I wish all Seniors could go out with a personally rewarding Senior season no matter how the team finishes the season! Good luck to him and thanks for sharing.

:fan_wave2:

3. HotCorner#33

HotCorner#33 Member

MEMORIES

Great Story. This time of year is both an exciting time and sad time for those Senior Athletes who are moving on to College and not playing a competitive sport they have played and loved most of their young lives. They will have new and exciting challenges ahead of them as they get to enjoy a new begining.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL THOSE SENIORS :hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray:

4. Coach Knight

Coach Knight Full Access Member

Packman-
    What a great story! If only all high school players appreciated simply being a part of the team! Wish every player could read this post and take the time to thank their teammates, parents and coaches for all they've done for them....as all of us old timers know, it goes fast and you certainly miss those times.
    Thanks again - and good luck to your son. Sounds like the kind of person I'd want on my staff. Coach Knight, Central Baseball

5. tools

tools Full Access Member

That is an absolutely fantastic story.

6. cth1611

cth1611 Full Access Member

Made my day

Hopefully we can all be as appreciative as you and your family on Senior night.

7. mmac

mmac Junior Member

Packman,
    Congratulations to your senior on his fine finish. I would disagree with one poster who said he wishes more seniors were just happy to be on the roster. Every ballplayer should keep scrapping to the end with his head held high just like your son did. He was fortunate to play for a coach who cares about his entire roster and keeps them involved, and that coach was fortunate to have your son. Again, congrats on the great finish. :wave:All best for the future.

8. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Packman- as someone else mentioned, you have made my day. I hope I have the honor of meeting your son one day. Your son is the type that will make an excellent coach. It's not all about teaching one how to hit or pitch, but how to play the game. It appears your son plays it well. His experience will go a long way in helping him achieve his goals.

Thank you for sharing your story.

9. thebreeze

thebreeze Full Access Member

your son's story makes it all worthwhile.

10. packman

packman Full Access Member

I thank everyone for the kind remarks. It was definitely a special day not just for him but for all of our seniors getting the win against one of our biggest rivals. After the game, the four seniors received a framed poster of their individual team pictures from this season with the following quote from Bob Feller under the picture:

"Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or or put its failures behind and start over again. That is the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is."

I have always thought that baseball was the sport that taught you so much more about life than any other sport. I hope they all will take time to reflect on their years of playing the game and life lessons it has taught them.

As a very good friend of mine likes to say...."Football and basketball were invented for the kids that weren't tough enough to play baseball." :shiny: