1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Richmond this weekend

Discussion in 'Volleyball Forum' started by 2upthemiddle, Jan 13, 2009.

1. 2upthemiddle

2upthemiddle Full Access Member

Who all is headed to Richmond this weekend for the Monument City tourney? I hear it's wall-to-wall volleyball. Any of you experienced volleyballers got advice on what teams to watch, or what players? We'll be playing 15's but would like to see others. Can't seem to find a schedule but maybe it's early yet. Played in our first tourney this past weekend at Triangle and really enjoyed it, looking forward to more.

2. carouselambra

carouselambra Member

Monument City Classic

If you are playing 15s you will most likely play in the afternoon wave. Traditionally the 18s, 17s, and the 16 Open teams play in the morning wave. The 1 vs 2 seed games in the pool are the last games of the day and on Saturday those should be occurring between noon and 2 pm in four-team pools.

A player to check out is Kristen Carpenter on RVC 18 National. I have heard that many good players left the RVC club, but Kristen remains. She is a 5'7" play-everywhere player that has been on the US Youth National team (setter), US Junior National team (libero), and will be playing at Penn State next year.

The Open teams usually play on the courts toward the front of the convention center so if you go to the morning session and hang out there you will probably see some good ball/players. Antother thing to do is to go to where the college coaches are congregating. They are usually around the 17s and 16s courts since many of the 18s are committed already.

Cut and Pasted from the College Choices thread, these players will be there this weekend:

Year/Player/Position/High School/College/Club Team

2009 Kayla Austin S East Chapel Hill Rollins / Triangle 18 Blue
    2009 Molly Crenshaw DS/L Broughton Davidson / Triangle 18 Black

2009 Andrea Evans MB Oxford Webb NC State / Club Red 17 National
    2009 Ashley Farwell S/DS Wake Forest-Rolesville USC-Aiken / NC Elite 18 National
    2009 Molly Krull S Cardinal Gibbons Tampa / Triangle 18 Black
    2009 Michelle Nemesi MB Cardinal Gibbons Villanova / Triangle 18 Black
    2009 Jordan Reaves OH Holly Springs Campbell / Triangle 18 Black
    2009 Cayla Shortley L Cardinal Gibbons UNC-Chapel Hill / Triangle 18 Black
    2009 Lindsay Wise MB Raleigh Charter Georgetown (DC) / NC Elite 18 National
    2009 Melissa Zidar L/DS Cardinal Gibbons Elon / NC Elite 18 National

2010 Anna Moore MB Enloe NC State / Club Red 17 National
    2010 Katie Slay MB Wakefield Penn State / Triangle 18 Black

2010 Avery Striebel OH Cardinal Gibbons LSU / Triangle 17 Black
    2010 Katie Tatum OH Person Central Florida / NC Elite 18 National
    2010 Nicole Willis OPP Broughton LSU / NC Elite 18 National

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  3. 2upthemiddle

Thanks, that's some great information. Why is the volleyball forum so quiet as the club season is underway?

4. carouselambra

carouselambra Member

5. NOGA87

NOGA87 Full Access Member

I'll be heading up tomorrow...early after noon sometime.

If there's any Ohio teams in it...watch them.

6. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

the same question entered my mind today.....shouldnt this be the time where you can get your dd's 15 minutes of fame on the board. lets hear some of the results and how your dd did during these tournaments...

7. GvilleVolleymom

GvilleVolleymom Go Eastern NC Volleyball!

Monument City 17 Open

ECJVC 17's took home the first place trophy for 17 Open. Won in two games each on Monday over Virginia Elite and Club South. Tough matches, but some great volleyball with these very strong teams! It was neat to have the finals a match-up between VA, NC, and SC. ECJVC was able to work around the big blockers. Sunday was amazing with the college coaches lined up watching, some with video recorders! The girls (and parents!) loved all the attention! Not many coaches around on Monday, but overall, a very exciting weekend!

Great Job Kaitlyn, Emily, Caroline, Taylor, Brittany, Aubrey, Jamie, Pammy, and Caroline; and of course Coach Chris!!!!!

8. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

way to go, congrats.........

9. sportsmom15

sportsmom15 Junior Member

14 open - NC

North Carolina was well represented at the monument classic:
    13s - Won by NC Dominators
    14 open: Won by IC (Iredell County) Stars
    16 open: Won by Triangle 16 black (raleigh area team)
    17 open: Won by ECJVC
    17 club: 2nd place Sports Academy

Several other NC teams played and placed in the top half of their bracket. Good job girls!
    :N1Greatjob02:

10. 2upthemiddle

Richmond

Had a great time in Richmond, it was truly wall-to-wall volleyball for 3 days. My daughter's team didn't fare too well, got caught in a 3-way tie for first in their pool on the first day and ended up in 3rd place, thus putting us in the lower bracket for the rest of the weekend. But still great competition and a well-run tournament. It was great to see some of the older players and the college coaches watching them. Sure seems like, with all those players, it would be hard to be noticed if there was no advance knowledge of how you play or who you are. It would seem like all that up-front work of emails and phone calls would be very productive work prior to the tournament, so they'll come looking for you.

Back to the tournament, my only complaint was the $16 parking fee on Monday in downtown Richmond. I wish somebody had told me about that, since I thought $8 was high on Saturday and Sunday. Also the "no food" rule in the Convention Center...had us feeling bad about smuggling in Gatorade and bananas so the girls could have something healthy to eat. I'm sure it's a Convention Center rule so you'll buy their high $ food. No bigger sucker for money than an athlete's parents...