1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

redshirt rules

Discussion in 'College Baseball' started by bigmur, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Vet-17

Vet-17 Middle Member

ok sit down for this. My son has d-3 talent but not really into the work it's gonna take so. Wants to be physical theraphest. What if he goes National Guard medical training August, gets back in the spring, bigger, stronger, and grown-up alot. Back on Legion team in May, then walks-on any NC school courtesy of GI Bill in the fall. Delayed freshmen year but these days kids are'nt rushing out at 22 to get lousy jobs...
    Just thinking...

2. Hot Corner Dad

Hot Corner Dad Newcomer

Another Perspective on Potential Red Shirts in Baseball

This same topic came up on the High School Baseball Web message board. Thought this father's response was interesting, so I am reposting it here:

"I guess I am qualified to speak on this topic since my son was red shirted his freshman year despite having a nice baseball scholarship. It is not that uncommon still in DII as several of his teammates are fifth year players and his coach has five or six more redshirts this year. My son had nine outfielders besides himself last year on the team and he was the only freshman outfielder so it made sense to red shirt him and let him build up his body and such which he did. He also managed 4.0 and 3.86 semesters since he didn't have to travel. So it made the adjustment to college very easy. He was given the same amount of athletic money for this season despite still being blocked by a two time all conference centerfielder and three other seniors as well as a returning .363 hitting sophmore. Hopefully next year he will get substantial playing time as all those guys except the soph. graduate. But my point is that it was really a good thing for my son as he is now biggger stronger and faster. DII doesn't have the roster restrictions of DI so the red shirt policy is still actively used."

3. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

You are correct. D2 is still allowed to give "book" money if they choose. I don't want to come across as belittling anyone, but since most D2 programs are at private schools with a $30,000+ tuition, it's hard for me to acknowledge $100-500 athletic money as a scholarship....but it is, so I should. There are other commitments at a D2 program that are given anywhere between $3,000- 15,000 in athletic money. Those kids aren't being redshirted.

I'm sure one can find exceptions to this, but in the majority of cases, it's all about the financial aspects. College baseball is a business and it's treated that way. If they have a strong investment in you, they expect a return. But I can see why a coach could decide a player could help him down the road and a $500 investment to redshirt him could make sense.

But keep in mind, while there are exceptions, here is another one. One historically strong D2 program has only one scholarship to divide; offering to redshirt a player is done frequently.

As I stated in an earlier post, D2 programs can vary from school to school. It depends what strategy they use in their recruiting. Some coaches don't think twice in pulling an athletic scholarship if they didn't get a return in investment; while other coaches honor their commitment to the player all the way through to his graduating year. They feel they made a commitment and honor it (as long as the player fulfilled his part; going to class and working hard.) They don't over recruit.

A tip for any family interested in a D2 program to play baseball. Look at the percentage of how many players have gone through the program as freshman to seniors. Obviously, the percentage is indicative of the coach's recruiting philosophy.

4. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

To make my point about college baseball, particularly D2 baseball, being a business. Until this year, a particular conference mandated that each school field a JV (development) team. Now the players being recruited had no idea if they were being considered for the varsity or JV squad; all they knew is they were committing to play baseball in college. An extremely small percentage of players from the development team would actually make the varsity, from my experience, it is around 5% at best. However, the JV team brought in an extra $500,000+ windfall to the schools....a nice bonus for the school and one a college coach at those schools had to comply.

However, having pointed out some adverse concerns with college baseball, it can be a great experience and the players should feel honored to participate. Only a few HS baseball players get this chance. It goes back to the fundamental reason to attend college. Go to the college of your choice, whether you played baseball or not. Everyone hangs up their spikes at some point, but if one goes to a school they love, they will have the best time of their life.

5. Deadley Nedley

Deadley Nedley Junior Member

Sorry for a dumb question: Does a redshirted player count against the 35 man squad?

6. Deadley Nedley

Deadley Nedley Junior Member

redshirted basebaseball

Does a redshirted freshm
    an count against the 35 man roster?

7. Score

Score Full Access Member

"Red-Shirts"

Fall "Red-Shirts"... send me a PM at Christmas.

8. Momofapitcher

Momofapitcher Junior Member

I have a question concerning a redshirt walk on transfer. My son has told us that as a redshirt sophomore who made the team as a walk on in the fall has now been redshirted. He was told that he could not practice with the team or talk to coaches. He is not injured and is dealing with the fact that he can't practice. Is he considered on the team still? He wants to play somewhere and at least feels that it would not build him in the area of pitching if he sets out as a redshirt and does not practice. Is this a nice way to say your cut but you don't lose a year of eligibility?