1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Parents

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by cheeze105, Jan 25, 2007.

1. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

I'm amazed more every year as to how far a parent will go to try and insure that their kid will be on varsity. This year I have a real jem. This parent is totally convinced that his dd is the cake as far as pitching goes and should be 'THE ONE" for varsity. This guy has gone as far as trying to verbally discourage the other three pitchers who have so much more going for them than his DD. He's even trying to influence the assistant varsity coach (pitching coach and one hell of a pitcher) thru bribes. What the hell??? This may work on other teams, but not ours. We base positions on performance, and work attitude. I really want to ask this parent why would he do this to his dd? If you gain a position by your parents mouth, what's gonna happen to the kid's confident when she gets blow away?? How is you kid gonna feel when the other girls find out that her parents influenced her status on the team. Dont parents think about this stuff before the fact??? My dd earned every thing she had thru hard work and drills, drills, drills. This kid has more excuses for not coming to practice than anyone i've known, and the excuses dont come from the kid, they come from the parents.

I had to vent on this one, but if you're a parent who's even thinking about doing this to your dd, think long and hard about the consequences that may possibly happen when your kid bombs out. EARN YOUR POSITIONS THROUGH PERFORMANCE, SKILL AND ATTITUDE! not your parents mouth. talk is cheap and often just talk.

cheeze

2. jfagala

jfagala Full Access Member

WOW...

Cheeze,
    People that know you already know that you tell the truth and that is THE TRUTH!!

Parents don't get it and won't get it cause they are blinded by the light, the light that their kids are really better than they are.

If this kid was coming to practice/workouts/whatever, anytime the doors were open, she would get so much more consideration from "the coach".

In this case,The kid and the parents are both really high maintenance. Nothing you do or say is going to make them feel any better. Only if THEIR kid is the focus will you get peace on the team.

And if (is really WHEN, not IF) they fail, it is certainly the COACH's fault (your fault in this case) :civilwar: <this is you and them 3 weeks into the season.

Good luck with that one.....

3. cheeze105

naw

this is my response three weeks into the season::massbooty:

4. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

To be honest, I wouldn't have any discussions with a parent, unless we set up an appointment...and even then I won't discuss playing time. If they want to discuss what their DD needs to improve in...fine, but I would suggest to them in the future, that they advise their daughter to ask those questions.

By the time that a player reaches HS, Daddyball must go away. One way to control this "meddlesome" is to have a team/parent meeting before the season and print out and have signed by parents and their DD, team rules and parents involvement. It needs to spell out what is acceptable and what is not.

To play for a HS team is a privledge. I don't care how talented a player is..if she or her parent won't follow the team rules, then she will not be on the team.

To a degree a coach must have thick skin and an ability to ignore peripheral distractions, but if a parent's attitude is affecting the team...then I will address that.

5. cheeze105

good post braves

Agree Tom, but what got my butt was the fact that he was trying to dubb his daughters competition directly and verbally. it has been addressed, real point blank. i've seen this every year of my five in hs ball, but this was to new extremes.

6. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Wow...amazin' isn't it

7. observer

observer Full Access Member

I would suggest to her parents that they consider other schools in your area for their dd to play.

8. CFBall

CFBall Senior Member

easy solution......

Cut.

9. CanAmMan

CanAmMan Full Access Member

why not just move to jv & then when the parent comes to complain, you just say "it is because of you & when she proves herself she may get a chance at varsity!"

10. CFBall

CFBall Senior Member

nope, the history is probably there and isnt worth putting Any team thru the drama. jmho