1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

NW4A Coaches

Discussion in 'Boys Basketball' started by whspioneers, Apr 13, 2006.

1. sbmom

sbmom Banned From TBR

Because I'm even more unqualified than she is to be a coach

2. UABBLAZERBALLA

UABBLAZERBALLA Full Access Member

I keep "talking" not taliking. Anyway, you may be right about her high school championship being slow pitch, but her college softball was fast pitch and her coaching has been in fast pitch. You were right, behind the fence you are less qualified than she is. I bet she doesn't get on a message board and blast you and your job performance. Or what if she got on here and blasted you for the way that you deal with your child? I have seen many softball games at South, including this season. It is a highly competitive conference and I am sure the players and coaches will be the first to tell you that they were disappointed with their performance. But that will motivate them to work hard and learn from their mistakes. Plus, it is a learning experince and I am sure this experience will benefit these student-athletes later in life. They competed hard everyday in practice and in every game. They never quit and they stayed out of trouble. I also think their overall record was above .500. As I said to you earlier...if you are not happy, transfer your child or schedule a face-to-face meeting with the coach, athletic director, or principal.

3. ForTheLoveOfTheGame

ForTheLoveOfTheGame Full Access Member

Knowledge Through Experience

I have only one word for the previous post, IGNORANCE! Have you seen this coaches resume'? I would be willing to bet that you have not. I would be willing to bet she's never shared any of her coaching records and successes. Why? Ask her and see what response you recieve. I overheard her reply once. "It wasn't my record" or "It wasn't my success." Her reply always follows with, "I have won a state championship as a player." This coach took a break from her career after an illness several years ago. Do you know how many colleges approached this coach during an extravagant 3 year program explosion? SEVERAL! She isn't someone that brags about her experiences. I got to know her personally and she would be irate at me for mentioning any of this. She left coaching several years ago because of an illness. I admire her courage and strength to come back. I recently heard that she re-entered coaching and is living in this area. It's your turn to sit back on the other side of the fence and see the results begin to emerge. First, you must know her high school playing days were in fastpitch and not slowpitch. Her first year will demand teamwork, positive attitude and keeping parents off of the team. It was a culture shock for our girls that weren’t used to high demands and expectations. Don't be surprised when you see her riding players and yelling about both of these issues. She's very passionate and it's easily mistaken for rude. A man this passionate and domineering is a "go-getter" and "goal-driven". We all know what a woman is considered.

I am quietly sitting in the wings and watching. My best entertainment as a spectator who simply loves this sport will be watching the transformation about to take place for this team. My son played sports at the same school this coach is from. The entire community was in awe. The first year she wasn’t liked. As the parent of a son playing basketball, I too was learning from this coach. My focus had been my child’s success. I replied to this post with simply the word IGNORANCE. Watching this sport, reading about this sport and studying this sport, is this where you gain your expertise? This coach lived it. That's where she EARNED hers. The program that I witnessed her build is where she proved it.

4. sbmom

sbmom Banned From TBR

I'm sorry but you are mistaken in who we are talking about. We are talking about the softball coach it just ended up in the wrong thread. Brookshire never coached any softball anywhere before SC. I know this for a fact and also know for a fact she has NEVER played one game of fastpitch. She came to SC out of college and tried to coach soccer; which is what she really went to college to play. She was unsuccessful in that endevor also. You are obviouslly mistaken in who we are talking about because Brookshire never coached anywhere else at all. I know that for sure. Brookshire is her married name now so that is probablly how you got mixed up. I don't care who she is or what she did she is a terrible coach. if you don't believe this just ask ANY VARSITY palyer that played this year they ALL hated her and that is why I'm so mad about this because SHE ruined what should have been a very good year for us That is all I have to say about this.

Last edited: May 11, 2006
  5. rams12bb

rams12bb Full Access Member

It's not enough to bash Coach Brookshire in the softball forum, but to continue to post in the basketball thread. Coach Brookshire did pretty well considering her pitcher pitched with an injured knee most of the year, and a catcher with a bad back.

It's not hard to hide behind a name and trash someone. Have the guts to call and schedule a meeting and share your concerns, or be big enough to stop posting junk on a message board about a person that takes a lot of time and effort to coach a sport.

By the way, I would dare say some other teams had a little bit to do with "ruining" the season. The NW4A was extremely competitive this year from top to bottom.

6. whspioneers

whspioneers Full Access Member

I have 3 things to say about the South Caldwell softball thing.

1st- Layoff SBmom, she has an issue with a coach and wishes to express her opinion. It is her right to do so without you guys calling her names for it. Would you rather her say something here or go to the games with FIRE Brookshire signs and if the chick is as unqualified as SBmom says she is than that is pathetic. I have those credentials and you don't see me coaching Softball.

2nd- This thread is about basketball coaches, NOT SOFTBALL!!!!! Find a new thread.

3rd- If the players hate her then they should try and get her to either resign or speak to the AD about it. A coach who is hated by her players will never win. They need to face the cold hard facts. Those people who say look at the life lessions the players learn and its not all about wins and losses is apparently used to losing.

7. ForTheLoveOfTheGame

ForTheLoveOfTheGame Full Access Member

Leory Walker
    Jerry Yeagley
    Mary Wish
    Mike Gillespie
    Mike Krzyzewski
    Pat Summitt
    Marty Schottenheimer
    Mike Candrea

The coaching philosophy of the coaches listed focus on "life skills". When this becomes the backbone to any program or organization the result IS success. It's so easy to become completely focused on the success of our child and lose sight of the success of the organization. You say that it's not about life skills, is it about dusting our trophies at the age of 50?

8. whspioneers

whspioneers Full Access Member

Those coaches you listed have done an amazing feat by mixing the two. However the defrence in a ok coach and a great won is wins and losses. I could go out there and teach the girls life skills and the ethics of sports. Does that make me a good coach? NO!!! Those girls would learn life skills but would never win. I also know alot of coaches who would win but play like a bunch of bushleaguers. Find some one in between is my opinion. However I feel like I should say this. I don't follow WHS softball much less South Caldwell's so I cannot speak to the situation and am not trying to.

9. reporter

reporter Full Access Member

We are starting to get some good coaches at SC. Our football coach has done a great job. Girls basketball and baseball have excellent coaching and now we have what I think will be a very good mens basketball coach. As for softball coach we're hurting.

10. central-d

central-d Full Access Member

Be glad you have that many good coaches. Lots of schools would love that. I don't remember the boys new basketball coach from JV's this year but from what I hear the kids like him a lot and that is on of the most important things for a coach to be successful along with knowledge of the game. SC had some very good players last year and from what I'm told didn't much at all to graduation. With a new coach and a better player attitude toward him SC will be force next year. Also look out for Alexander next year. I think we could have one of our best teams in a long time. Could be some minor changes in our team for next year but I don't see anything big.
    Believe it or not I hate to see what has happened to SC in softball. They along with Alexander were the class of our conference for years. Their situation goes back to what I said about the boys new basketball coach. Two most important things about being a coach the players must like you (especially with girls) and you have to know the game. If not you lose