1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Nineteen year old legion players

Discussion in 'American Legion' started by MOOSE, Aug 12, 2004.

1. TROCK

TROCK Full Access Member

(SOME CALL IT THE CHERRYVILLE RULING)
    Can you explain that RULING!

2. countryboy17

countryboy17 Full Access Member

19 Year Old Rule

I would like to see the age limit moved back to 18.
    This would allow high school jrs and srs more opportunity to display their skills for college and pro scouts. IMO, the college frosh have landed their deals and have moved on, so it's time to for the new blood to
    come in and show what they can do.

What are your thoughts?

:smack:
    [​IMG]

3. Big Mark

Big Mark Premium Member

This thread is SO totally not what i thought it was :( :( :( :(

:sneaks back to RnR:

4. reporter

reporter Full Access Member

I like it the way it is. This new age bunch worry so much about getting their kids seen by someone and forget it is all about playing and winning a ballgame. I like having the best players coming back to play one more time. If a kid is good enough to play in college he will have already been found anyway

5. BigDipofCope

BigDipofCope Full Access Member

Here's the way I see it... The 19 yr. olds that are "great" college baseball players are not going to play Legion ball after their freshmen year. They are going to play in a college wood bat league. Also, with alot of kids going to showcase baseball, I think legion needs the 19 year olds that maybe were redshirted or don't even play college baseball, but are good leaders.

6. tj21

tj21 Moderator

I have been against the 19 year old rule in the past, but now I'm starting to get used to it, especially when I see these college freshmen get one more chance to come home and play with the locals, thats just good for the communities and only builds more memories that these young men will carry with them forever.

I do agree the 19 year olds have probably knocked out the younger players on many legion teams,,,, this is why the Junior Legion League was formed, to provide a place for the younger players.

And BigDip,,,, I know what your saying about the best college freshman will probably play wooden bat and not legion,,, but thats not always the case. That decision CLEARLY depends on what community you live in, and how strong the legion ties are where you live. Kannapolis, Rowan, Caldwell, Shelby kids return home to play that final year of legion ball all the time. One specific player that I know even made that a part of his deal when he signed to play college ball, that his college coach will allow him to come back home and play legion ball that last year. And knowing how important legion ball was to that kid in his hometown, that specific college coach agreed. But your' right, many cases they'll do wooden bat, just not all.

Last edited: May 30, 2007
  7. countryboy17

countryboy17 Full Access Member

Actually the age limit used to be 18 and was changed sometime after I played. So I don't understand what you mean about the new age bunch. As far as being concerned about getting seen, I believe if you are lucky and good enough they will find you no matter where you play. One other thing, maybe just maybe this is why the "showcase" thing got so big. Legion ball is about building character, making lifelong friendships, working hard and winning takes care of it'self.
    I believe it's more about just winning baseball games.

Big Dip:You make a good point and have opened my mind, not changed yet, but opened.

Last edited: May 30, 2007