1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Nineteen year old legion players

Discussion in 'American Legion' started by MOOSE, Aug 12, 2004.

1. gonzo

gonzo Full Access Member

A point that seems to be missed so far in this thread is a lack of opportunity to play on a wood bat team. And as far as the college hitters facing legion pitchers, a good many of the college players coming back are pitchers, so you are facing college pitchers. I got to see 3 years of 18 and 1 year of 19 and I like it. Seeing someone like Chris Mason or Robert Woodard throw as a 19 y/o seems like some overkill, but there are a good many college pitchers who need the regular work that legion will give them. If you are 19, do you want to throw 2-3 innings a week, maybe a few more, OR be guaranteed 6-9 innings every 5-6 days? JMHO.

2. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

I like it too, Gonzo. And if it increases the level of play....nothing wrong with that.

3. AtlWood

AtlWood Full Access Member

There are also any number of kids who don't play at college because they are at a given school for reasons other than baseball. Frankly, most of them could play somewhere but had/have a different set of priorities.

In addition, because they are still eligible to play, some were young and not as developed physically for their academic grade, i.e., they weren't held back a grade. The 19 age gives all these guys a last chance to play competitively in front of a sometimes hostile crowd, to get the adrenalin pumping. It gives them an opportunity they wouldn't otherwise have... so I'm in favor of it. :xyzthumbs

4. Intimidator Coach

Intimidator Coach Premium Member

the general rule of thumb would be that a 14, 15 ,or a 16 year isnt going to get very much playing time at the legion level . I have seen the younger ones waste 2 years sitting on the bench, thinking they would get better by the practices or get into the blo-out games.the practices arent what you think in most cases. Batting practice and a round or 2 of infield / outfieldis about it. not to much time for teaching . Also in legion ball a team can score runs in a hurry and most coach's will stay with starters for most of the game.
    They are paid positions ya know.
    My opinion is to stay with your AAU,USSSA, or whatever league you can until you have reached 17... there are alot of good 15,16,17,18 and under programs to play in . Most cases at a pretty good cost.

If you have a son thats superior to others at his age i'm pretty sure someone will notify you or you could spend the week or 2 before legion season begins and try-out.

I'm all for the 19yo playing . And the ones that are opposed to it... wait till your son turns 19 and see if your not all for it too.

5. cougardad

cougardad Full Access Member

I personally think that having a 19 year old playing legion ball is fine because of the additional playing time they (19 year olds) will get. However, I understand from our legion coach that beginning with the 2006 legion season, the age requirements will revert back to 18 and younger. This was voted on last spring (some call it the Cherryville ruling) and gave a two year period before being implemented. Anyone else heard about this?

6. greenballz

greenballz Full Access Member

i promise you there are some damn good pitchers in legion.....zach ward....if that isnt college comp pitching i dont know what is

7. Papabear

Papabear Full Access Member

I thought Ward played in the Cape Cod league this summer?

8. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

I did too.....for the Chatham A's...maybe it's a different Zach Ward they are speaking about

9. rcbbfan

rcbbfan Full Access Member

Zach Ward did play in the Cape THIS year, but played for the Kannapolis Legion team last year after his freshman year at G-W. He is a junior this fall.

10. homerun4

homerun4 Full Access Member

american legion baseball is still the best amateur baseball in this area to watch bar none.