1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Need help with Redshirt rule in Baseball

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Redwolffan, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Redwolffan

Redwolffan Member

Trying to find out the NCAA rules for Redshirting in Baseball. Based on number of games played or number of games on roster, etc. Please point me in the right direction.

2. TBA

TBA Full Access Member

Medical Hardship Waiver (aka Medical Redshirt)

Not sure if this is the kind of "redshirt" you are inquiring about, but if it is "medical" this should help.

To qualify under the medical hardship guidelines a player must be deemed medically unable to continue on with the season by a physician, not have competed (entered a game for any reason) in more than 20% of his team's scheduled games, and not competed in any games beyond the 1/2 way point of the season (based on regular season scheduled games). All documentation, records, physicians statement, etc. must be turned in at the end of the season by the schools athletic director with the proper forms to the NCAA, and they will make a ruling on whether or not to grant the waiver, and in turn whether or not the athlete will receive that year of eligibility back. Keep in mind though that they are still on the 5 year clock (they have 5 calender years to get in 4 years of eligibility).

Hope this helps.

3. SoutherNo1

SoutherNo1 Full Access Member

4. Redwolffan

Redwolffan Member

Redshirt rule

Got my answer by calling the NCAA today. One at-bat or one inning played will use a year of eligibility.

5. TBA

TBA Full Access Member

Misunderstood

My apologies, I mis-understood...When you were mentioning # of games played in, etc. I assumed you were talking about an injury.

Once you enter a game you are considered in competition and that year of eligibility is official. That is the reason that if you qualify for a medical redshirt and it is granted, the year is actually given back to you after the fact.

6. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

A medical redshirt is one that is used 95% of the time in college baseball. The rare instance a redshirt may be used is usually reserved for a player that was suspended from the team before the season started. There are other circumstances (family illness) where it may be considered, but a redshirt (not medical) in baseball is very rare indeed. It is usually reserved for football to allow a player to develop physically.

7. NCMtnBBDad

NCMtnBBDad NCMtnBBDad

The rule for D1 now is that a player can't participtate in more that 30% of scheduled games, not 20%. I just called them last week to clarify.

8. susan123

susan123 Junior Member

hi guys,..
    i am new in this forum,..
    [FONT=&quot]i found that it is very helpful for me because it contains very informative posts and sharing s,..thanks[/FONT]