1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Need Advise

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by CatchersDad, Mar 24, 2006.

1. CatchersDad

CatchersDad Senior Member

As a coach and a long time supporter of fastpitch, I'm having trouble watching High School Coaching undermine the training that has been provided to my daughter and other players. I have always taught my catchers to move up as close to the batter as possible, specifically right up under the batters armpit, the HS coaching staff want her back, too far back, to avoid a possible interferance call. My philosy is that I will take that ever so few penalty rather than loose the step advantage on a runner and allow my pitchers a look to the mit that is shorter. Another issue is no one on base, ground ball to the infield (either side), my catchers sprint out of the box and shadow or pass the baserunner on the right flank in foul territory, to cover a possible overthrow to first base. Now I know the right fielder is also suppose to do the same, however, this is attitude and hussel by the catcher. I have never heard of a coach not wanting a catcher to hussel untill HS. I guess I could go on and on, or maybe it's time for me to go to the clubhouse.

2. EastOfRaleigh

EastOfRaleigh Full Access Member

move thread

you might want to move this topic to the "softball" section . would probably be seen by more folks.

I love the girls fastpitch game & really respect what those girls can do well, but something I notice often (& many times from experienced players) is a lack of knowledge of sound base-running skills & "smarts" on the basepaths. an example is a runner on 2nd base, ground ball hit to shortstop, many times I see the runner from 2nd base go ahead & try to advance to 3rd base before the shortstop commits on the throw. when this happens the runner is usually an easy dead duck out going to 3rd.
    I always coached the girls to "make the ball go through" the left side of the infield before committing to run OR wait til the ball leaves the SS's hand on the throw to 1st, then take off from 2nd towards 3rd.
    another thing observed is batter/runner not taking a "turn or swingout" running from home to 1B on a clean base hit that goes clearly into the outfield. instead many times you see them just run straight through the bag at 1st base on such a hit.

I think that pitching, defensive play, & hitting has improved greatly in the girls fastpitch game in recent years.

3. Ole Man Kelsey

Ole Man Kelsey I'm your huckleberry....

Yeah catchers dad...its all the fault of the HS coach...by the way "hussel" is really hustle....