1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

NCAA Championships

Discussion in 'Volleyball Forum' started by EastOfRaleigh, Dec 18, 2008.

1. EastOfRaleigh

EastOfRaleigh Full Access Member

thought someone on this forum would be discussing the NCAA volleyball championships shown on ESPN2.

2. marlinfan1

marlinfan1 Full Access Member

....thanks for the program info! I'm watching now. Doesn't Penn St. have the kid from Riverside?

3. #7mom

#7mom Junior Member

Penn State does have Megan Hodge who played at Riverside.

4. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

interesting, i'll have to check that out

5. marlinfan1

marlinfan1 Full Access Member

....nice! 2-0, 2-1, 2-2, and game on! Great job by Penn St. and our homestate hero Miss Hodge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Wow, this match was awesome! Fishman.

6. EastOfRaleigh

The lions roar very loud

OK, the Penn State Nit. Lions win the championship in a 3-0 final vs. Stanford.
    PS finishes 38-0 on the season. Only lost 2 sets all season. Have won 64 consecutive matches dating back to early Sept. 2007.

I think that PS starters are mostly (or all?) seniors and I believe the announcers said they all made A-A.

Talking about kills!! wow.

7. EastOfRaleigh

more info

Omaha, Neb. – The Penn State Nittany Lions became the fourth team in NCAA Division I women’s volleyball history to finish a season undefeated, as the top-ranked Nittany Lions successfully defended their 2007 national title with a 3-0 sweep (25-20, 26-24, 25-23) of second-ranked Stanford in Saturday’s 2008 NCAA final at the Qwest Center in Omaha, Neb.

Penn State finished one of the most impressive seasons in NCAA history with a perfect 38-0 record, joining Long Beach State (36-0 in 1998), Nebraska (34-0 in 2000) and USC (35-0 in 2003) as the only undefeated champions in NCAA history. The Nittany Lions’ 38 wins are the second-most of any Division I champion since the tournament began in 1981 and the most of any of the four undefeated champions. After dropping its only two sets of the season in Thursday’s five-set semifinal win over Nebraska, Penn State finished its year with its 37th sweep in 38 matches.

The Nittany Lions also became only the sixth team to repeat as national champions and the first since USC captured back-to-back titles in 2002 and 2003. After Saturday’s victory, Penn State has now won three national titles in school history – all since 1999 – as the Nittany Lions joined five other programs which rank second in NCAA history with three national championships.

The only program with more NCAA national championships than Penn State is Stanford, which the Nittany Lions defeated for the national title for the second straight year. Despite another terrific season, the six-time national champion Cardinal became the first team in Division I history to finish as the national runner-up in three consecutive NCAA Championships. Stanford, which fell to Penn State in a five-set thriller in 2007, finished the 2008 season with a 31-4 record.

8. carouselambra

carouselambra Member

Penn State Only Had Three Seniors

Penn State Only Had Three Seniors. They were all starters. They are all great. They still have a lot of talent coming back. Their next big "rebuilding" year will not be until 2010 when they have a new setter replacing Glass and a six-rotation OH to replace Hodge.

9. PersonRocketDad

PersonRocketDad Moderator

Awesome volleyball

Penn State was awesome this year as was Megan Hodge from Durham NC. Even though PS swept Stanford in the championship the game of the tournament in my opinion was the semi-final between Nebraska and Penn State. Penn State had not dropped a set the entire season until Nebraska took sets 3 & 4 in the semi-final game. It was very interesting to watch the calmness of Penn States coach who remained calm and get his team back on track in the 5th set. In the 5th set Meagn Hodge went off and lead her team to victory and back to the Championship. And don't forget they were playing on Nebraska's home court! Congrats to a awesome volleyball team and to one of North Carolina's best...Megan Hodge!