1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Lander University Fall Camp

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Braves, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

This is an extremely popular camp simply because of the coaches involved. Former Belmont Abbey coaches, Kermit Smith and Chris Anderson, have taken their camp to South Carolina, but they have maintained their roots in NC.

They are opening their new stadium this year and it is beautiful. In order for them to compete in the enormously talented and competitive Peach Belt conference, they must attract great talent...and former UNC catcher, Jeff May, is indicative of the talent they recruit. I've been told by a source that would know that May has had an incredible fall and should be a coveted draft pick.

Lander is a gold mine for baseball. They have support from the administrators and the community (not often found in this era.) I strongly suggest to those interested in a fine education and being taught by an unbelievable coaching staff...this is a must-do.

2nd Annual Lander University Prospect Camp

On November 20th, 2010 the Lander University Baseball program invites you to attend our 2nd Annual Lander University Prospect Camp. We will open this to 15-18 year olds. There will be instruction from the Lander University coaching staff on all facets of the game. Players from all over the eastern part of the country will be in attendance. We will also invite several other colleges from around our area to be in attendance.
    We will charge 50 dollars for the camp. Each athlete will be provided with a camp tee-shirt. Our sign in time will be at 8:30 AM on the 20th. The check in area will be directly in front of Legion Field. Depending on the number in attendance the end time could vary. We will probably shoot for 2 PM for the prospect camp to end.

Attached to this letter you will find the prospect camp profile sheet. If you plan on attending, please fill out the profile sheet and either email it to me or mail it to me and send payment as soon as possible. Camp spots will be limited. We expect to have a full roster. On return, please attach the profile sheet with a check made to “Bearcat Baseball Camp” payment will be non-refundable. You can email the profile sheet back to us. We are excited about our second annual prospect camp and the fact that it will bring many talented athletes to our campus. We look forward to seeing you here. Please bring tennis shoes, cleats, glove, bat, and sleeves!

Please make check payable to:

Bearcat Baseball Camp

Send the check to:
    Lander University
    Finnis Horne Center
    320 Stanley Ave.
    Greenwood, SC 29649
    ATTN: Baseball Office

Sincerely,

Chris Anderson
    Pitching Coach/Recruiting Coordinator
    <http://www.peachbeltconference.org> Lander University
    (864) 388-8046
    (704) 213-0867
    [email protected]

2. Braves

Okay...this thread should be getting many more hits. I believe it must be because Lander is located in another state, but I believe it would be a terrible mistake for anyone to overlook this camp.

There are many people across NC that remember the great camps the Lander coaches held at Belmont Abbey. It was one of the best attended fall camps around. Well, Coach's Smith and Anderson have taken their talents to another state, but they didn't lose any of their skills in the move. These two guys are some of the best college coaches in our region and to be able to play for them would be a privilege. I can't express enough how talented they are and they have a soul to match (they take care of their recruits.) They don't over-recruit and you will never hear anybody say anything negative about them.

They are a class act with a class program....a first rate facility and an impressive administrative support. I have never made this kind of promise before, but the opportunity to attend the Lander camp or an opportunity to play for these guys will be something you will never regret....period!

3. Coach 27

Coach 27 Full Access Member

I could

come on here and type for days about my sons experience so far at Lander but I would just look like a homer. All I can say its the best decision he has probably ever made. Anyone that has any questions about the school , area , coaches , program please pm me and I will be glad to help you out.

I do know they are looking to fill some needs from this work out. This is not a money maker for the coaches. This is a serious opportunity for players looking to find a home. In fact "Kenny don't invite anyone you don't think can play for us. We are looking for players that can help us win the Peach Belt and play for a National Championship."

They have serious talent according to my son. And they are looking for guys that want to work their butts off to be the best they can be and win. If your interested pm me I will be more than willing to fill you in on any questions you might have. Coach Smith and Coach Anderson - it doesnt get any better than those guys. And having a young guy like Coach Britt Johnson on staff is invaluable for many reasons.

I went down there a few weeks back to check out the new stadium and it is absolutely awesome. Its located in Downtown Greenwood. To say its impressive is an understatement. I simply can not say enough about what a great opportunity this is for the right guys. I better stop before I do indeed type for days. PM me and I will glad to fill you in.

4. Braves

There you go...it's one thing for me to come on here and encourage people to attend, but it's another thing hearing from a respected coach with a son that's "living" the experience.

But I'm not go to say anything if I don't believe in it..and I believe you won't find better college coaches anywhere. And Kenny is right, the talent level is incredible and only getting better. They are interested, talent-wise, in players with Pro potential because that's the type players they are signing.

5. batsandballs29

batsandballs29 Full Access Member

i'm a JV Head/Varsity assistant in Hickory and none of you would know who i am, so my opinion obviously may not be taken as seriously as Braves and Coach. however, i played with Coach Anderson at Catawba and have been around Coach Smith talking baseball numerous times during their stint at Belmont-Abbey.

you WILL NOT find 2 better coaches together anywhere. their skills and knowledge are impeccable, but even more important than either of those things...they are quality men. the experience that their players would gain from these 2 will last them long after they leave Lander University.

if your son has talent and has aspirations of going to the next level...or he has talent and wants to spend 4 years playing the game that he loves for great people, take a saturday and drive down to Greenwood. it's right down the road, not that far away and the benefits could be life changing.

6. JM15

JM15 Moderator

I really hope there are lots of serious ballplayers out there considering this opportunity. I couldn't think of a better college coaching staff out there. I haven't met a ton of coaching staffs, but I know that this one is top notch both baseball wise and people wise.

7. ThomasatState

ThomasatState Junior Member

Two Great Coaches

Coach Smith and Coach Anderson do a great job help players understand the importance of developing the fundamentals of baseball. I encourage others to attend. You will be glad you did.

8. SoutherNo1

SoutherNo1 Full Access Member

I visited Lander yesterday and was very impressed with the new stadium that is nearing completion. It's a 4.5M dollar facility that is located within a new 15M dollar sports complex that also includes softball, soccer and tennis. Lander is a perrenial tennis powerhouse having won several national championships I believe. The university also owns the old minor league stadium that currently serves as home to the baseball team. How many programs, regardless of classification, can say they have a new 1100 seat stadium plus a 1500-2000 seat stadium in reserve? Very nice. I've also heard some very good things that scouts have said about the talent on campus, plus talent that is being brought in. They have a great staff that seems to be getting lots of support from the school, and community.

9. MTH

MTH Junior Member

Is Lander fully funded scholarshipwise?

10. Braves

Yes