1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Just How Good Are They? VERY, VERY GOOD!

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Baylee Duckdog, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Baylee Duckdog

Baylee Duckdog Full Access Member

Many have stated that Providence HS may be sitting on its best shot for a State Championship ever. Tough to argue that point. They are simply dominant.

There is no doubt they have all the tools - Coaching, Defense, Offense, Speed, Pitching, Experience, Confidence, Composure...what possibly could be missing? The ONLY thing that could take PHS down this year would be one of those crazy bad breaks you occasionally see in the great game.

SO, "seam-heads" want to know....is there any team in NC with a greater run differential than PHS' gaudy 107? Through 18 games with a record of 17-1, PHS has scored 137 "points" versus 30 runs allowed.

PHS surrenders a stingy 1.67 runs per game - only once have they given up more than 4 runs in a game!

Excluding a one run loss to Weddington (7-6 on March 14), PHS has dominated their opponents with many of their games only lasting 5 innings. They have also posted seven shut-outs so far.

SO, the numbers tell the story. Yes, they are VERY, VERY GOOD.

2. Bulldogsbacker

Bulldogsbacker Full Access Member

I simply can not wait for April 24........

3. Baylee Duckdog

Baylee Duckdog Full Access Member

4. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

I smell sandbaggin' in this thread......lol

However, Providence has a State Championship already.

The one to watch for is Rose.

5. ASU86

ASU86 Full Access Member

Don't sleep on TC Roberson. Talent at every position and tons of pitching. Most talented players are young so they will continue to get better as the season progresses. Good coaching and they are willing and capable of playing any type of game to win. PLUS they have something Providence doesn't, past experience DEEP into the State playoffs.

6. Hkybaseball1

Hkybaseball1 Junior Member

Ok I will throw my 2 cents into this as well. I have seen both TC Roberson and Providence play and IMO they don't match up very well. Gragilla from Hough would be a #3 or 4 pitchers in their rotation. We all know about Buttry,Campana, and Herbert but Sam Dugdale is a pretty quality pitcher at the back end of their rotation that would be a lot of teams ace. TC has two big arms in Parker Johnson and Braxton Davidson (Soph). Hitting wise Providence has power pretty much throughout their lineup. They also have guys that can run pretty well which puts pressure on teams. TC is more of a hit for average team which is good in some cases but when you get behind and are facing a good pitcher can be a detriment especially when a longball could spark something. Catcher wise TC has two very capable catchers in Parker Johnson and Dom Camarata. Maclatchie from Providence is also very good he pops around a 1.8-1.9 and don't expect many balls to get past him. Coaching wise both coaches are very good and have done some great things with their programs, (especially in the short time at TC). I have yet to see Rose play but somehow Vincent just keeps on winning and I'm sure he will be there near the end too. It all comes down to if these teams can make it to the best of 3 series where talent shows more than the one and done of the early rounds.

7. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Very good post! Very informative

8. Low & Slow

Low & Slow Full Access Member

One and done time...

When it gets to be one and done time any great team can spit the bit when an outstanding pitcher on the opponent side has a career game or an untimely error allows unearned runs to score. Providence definitely has the weapons and you have to like their chances....seems like there might be a "country strong" team or two out there who could throw a ringer into the best laid plans.....I wonder what Davie County HS is up to?....I have no idea, but I think they can usually play with the best of 'em. I assume they are 4A...

9. Hkybaseball1

Hkybaseball1 Junior Member

Yes, Davie is up to a little something over there in Mocksville. Coach Herndon has been able to ride is two strong arms of Ryan Foster (UNCW) and Corey Randall (UNCA) most of the year. They are also pretty strong defensively. Beeson the catcher is a good high school catcher. Hes not going to wow anyone with his size or pop time but he does a good job receiving the ball and blocking it up. Hitting wise they are pretty strong throughout the middle of the lineup with Foster,Randall, Vernon, and Garzinski(Sp). All have the ability to hit it out at anytime. Matt Vernon is one of the best hitters I have seen all year. His ability to sit back and be patient for a pitch to drive really pays off. He has got power to all fields and a very nice glove at short. NC State is getting a player but they will have to wait another year because hes only a Jr.

10. aguyyouknow

aguyyouknow Yogi Fan

One and done

How would UNC feel if GW sent them home early with a one and done Win.

The format is inexcusable.

Providence may slip up but it doesn't negate the fact that they're way better than everybody else. I've seen Roberson and know several of their players personally. Although they're certainly capable of beating Providence they aren't close when it comes to overall talent.

Maybe Davie is or maybe Rose is but I just don't see it.

I'm not trying to stir it up.

Far better than South Caldwell when they rode Madisons coat tails. Madison made a good team unstoppable and a year later was a big part of a World Series Championship.

3x better than the scrappy little team Coach Bagwell won the state title with a couple.years ago at AK. That team finished 2nd in the league to a Providence team that is not nearly as good as this years team either.

It is what it is.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012