1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

jan 31 south meck vs butler officiating, etc.

Discussion in 'Boys Basketball' started by 75gitane, Feb 1, 2003.

1. 75gitane

75gitane Full Access Member

the GOOD -

on the girls side, south meck's susan wicker had a triple double, mary jo yee went over 1000 points for her career and joy cheek had a double-double.

on the boys side (as braves already noted in another post), south's jeff horowitz made an 80+ foot nothing-but-net baseball shot at the end of the first half. butler's mcmillian had 33. and i liked the pace of play and the sportsmanship shown by butler's #3 point guard during the game.

the BAD and the UGLY -

i think that is the WORST officiating i have EVER seen at a high school basketball game. these officials would start counting 5 seconds closely guarded when defenders weren't within 5 feet of the ball handler. charging was called blocking and vice versa. ANYTIME a player blocked a shot, a foul was called. the AMAZING thing was that players on both sides handled these calls with a fair amount of grace ... i don't remember any of the players getting a technical during the boys game.

anybody else see the game. what did you think of the officiating? is it like that at other games?

2. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

That was indeed a poorly officiated game. (Minime) was atrocious!

But the game itself was hard-fought. #3 (Jeff Worley) is a wonderful player and you noticed an important side note of the game. Even though the game was hard-fought, Butler, in particular, showed much class by helping South players up after a hard foul. You rarely see that happen anymore.

South won the game because they finally sent the ball into their big men. Horowitz could have easily scored 40, if they kept feeding him the ball...but Butler is sooooo quick.

The conference tournament should be very exciting this year.

3. Applejack

Applejack ALL WINTER TAN

#3 Jeff Worley is a special player. He plays tenacious defense and makes things happen offensively from the point guard position.
    Officiating was pretty bad as Braves will tell you that my wife let them know it first hand.
    It was not like the usual home cooking or biasnees shown by some officials, this crew was equally baaaaad...
    But these guys did not take away from my enjoyment because the players left it on the floor. Both teams played extremely hard on both ends and the fans were vocal for both sides.

4. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Amen to all those points by AJ

BTW, it was great seeing you and your wonderful family again. You got lucky, man!

5. Applejack

Applejack ALL WINTER TAN

You know I'd rather be lucky than good.:D