1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Jameson Curry

Discussion in 'Boys Basketball' started by Tommy_Perkins, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Tommy_Perkins

Tommy_Perkins Full Access Member

Anyone interested in keeping up with Curry’s numbers this season can check with this schedule:

http://www.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=230070

Curry should become the state’s all-time leading scorer sometime in December, possibly during either the Cummings or Andrews game. Curry currently has 2587 career points, 171 shy of the record. The following are the state individual scoring records (Courtesy of ihigh.com).

INDIVIDUAL
    SCORING

Career: 2,758 - Lawrence 'Cotton' Clayton, Kittrell Zeb Vance (1956-59)
    Season: 972 - JamesOn Curry, Eastern Alamance (2002-03)
    961 - Donald Williams, Garner (1991)
    Season by class
    Freshman: 639, JamesOn Curry, Eastern Alamance, 2000-01
    596, Shon Coleman, West Iredell (1992-93)
    Sophomore : 892, JamesOn Curry, Eastern Alamance, 2001-02
    725, Roy Bright, Northern Durham, 2001-02
    703, Scooter Sherrill, West Rowan (1997-98)
    Junior: 972, JamesOn Curry, Eastern Alamance (2002-03)
    954 - Lawrence 'Cotton' Clayton, Kittrell Zeb Vance (1957-58)
    Senior: 961 - Donald Williams, Garner (1990-91)
    953 - Eric Hicks, Dudley (2001-02)
    916 - Phil Ford, Rocky Mount (1973-74)
    Game: 67 - Bob Poole, Clayton, 1950 (Clayton 88, Corinth Holder 27)
    Quarter: 31 - John Byrne, Wake Forest , 1968 (vs. Benson)
    29 - Ashley Bass, Concord, 1993 (vs. Central Cabarrus)
    28 - Craig Dawson, Kinston, 1997 (vs. Northern Nash)
    28 - Joe Davis, Granite Falls, 1976 (vs. Bandys)
    Per game average, career: 27.7 - Phil Ford, Rocky Mount (1971-74, 75 games, 2076 points)
    27.1 - Shon Coleman, West Iredell (1992-96)
    26.3 - Donald Williams, Garner (1988-91)
    note: JamesOn Curry, Eastern Alamance, 2002-03, has 29.7 ppg career average through three years in 84 games, entering senior year
    Per game average, season: 35.6 - Donald Williams, Garner (1990-91)
    20-POINT GAMES
    Career: 74 - JamesOn Curry, Eastern Alamance (2000-03, one year remaining)
    74 - Vernon Odom, Bandys (1978-82)
    71 - Chris King, Hobbton (1984-88)
    68 - Shon Coleman, West Iredell (1992-96)
    63 - Brian Hege, Ledford (1988-92)
    58 - James McCleave, Bandys (1973-77)
    Season: 28- JamesOn Curry, Eastern Alamance (2002-03)
    28- Vernon Odom, Bandys (1980-81)
    28 - Eric Hicks, Dudley (2001-02)
    27 - Donald Williams, Garner (1990-91)
    27 - Vernon Odom, Bandys (1981-82)
    26 - Chris King, Hobbton (1987-88)
    non-NCHSAA: 30 - David Burns, Bishop McGuinness (1993-94)
    Consecutive: 29 - Donald Williams, Garner (1991)
    30-POINT GAMES
    Career: 44 - JamesOn Curry, Eastern Alamance (2000-03, one year remaining)
    37 - Shon Coleman, West Iredell (1992-96)
    34 - Donald Williams, Garner (1988-91)

Season: 22 - Donald Williams, Garner (1990-91)
    20 - JamesOn Curry, Eastern Alamance (2002-03)
    19 - JamesOn Curry, Eastern Alamance 2001-02

Consecutive: 10- JamesOn Curry, Eastern Alamance (last seven of 2001-02 season, first three of 2002-03 season)
    8 - Donald Williams, Garner (twice in 1991)
    7 - JamesOn Curry, Eastern Alamance (2001-02)
    non-NCHSAA: 9 - David Burns, Bishop McGuinness (1993-94)
    40-POINT GAMES
    Career: 6 - JamesOn Curry, Eastern Alamance (2000-03, one year remaining)
    10 - Donald Williams, Garner (1988-91)
    Season: 8 - Donald Williams, Garner (1990-91)
    8 - JamesOn Curry, Eastern Alamance (2001-02)
    8 - JamesOn Curry, Eastern Alamance (2002-03)
    Consecutive: 3 - Donald Williams, Garner (twice in 1991)
    3 - JamesOn Curry (Eastern Alamance 2001-2002)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2003
  2. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

TP--obviously, he is an extremely talented player. I watched him at a summer tourney his soph year. How good do you think he is and how well do you think he will do in college?

3. Tommy_Perkins

I saw him play on back-to-back nights last year during the state playoffs. The first night was against North Pitt and he was phenomenal. It was the first time I had seen him play and the two hour drive was worth it. Against a very talented North Pitt team he dominated and led his team to victory in a close game. I’m an older guy and I would compare him to Pistol Pete during his LSU years. He is a super ball handler, exceptionally quick in transition, has a quick release and is deadly from long range. Because of all the ice-storm cancellations during last year’s playoffs, Eastern Alamance found themselves in a bad situation having to play two nights in a row, while their opponent, West Columbus had the night off prior to the game at Minges. Curry came out smoking hot and immediately hit two three-pointers the first two times he touched the ball. He finished the half with 24 points. Early during the second half he aggravated a previous ankle injury. Prior to that he had kept his team in the lead. Without him West Columbus took the lead. While he was out of the game it appeared that he and the trainer were having a hard time getting the ankle wrapped. He would get up and trot and then they would try to readjust it. He came back in late in the game but it was too late. He may have scored one basket if any at all in the second half and his team lost by two points. What a shame. Bottom line: Curry was playing really well in the playoffs and might have carried his team into the Dean Dome for a real treat to the Carolina fans.

How good is he? Offensively he is awesome. I live in the NE part of the state and often go to Virginia to see the top teams play. I have seen Marquie Cooke, the top player in the always talent-rich Hampton Roads (Mourning, Iverson) area, play numerous times. He is a senior and recently signed with Virginia Tech. Curry’s offensive skills are substantially finer than Cooke’s. Cooke is stronger, plays better defense and is on a much more talented team. The top player in the area where I live is Catlin Pruitt of Manteo. Pruitt is a lot like Cooke and I think he would have national recognition if he played in the Hampton Roads area at a large school.

Bottom line: Although Cooke and Pruitt are scoring machines and excellent ball handlers and passers, neither compare to Curry offensively. Both are better on defense and both are stronger and thicker which is going to come in handy in college ball. My impression at the time I saw Curry was that he needs to put on some muscle and concentrate on defense, and that if he does he will be a super college star and then a super pro.

I hope to see Curry play again this year. His stats in his first two games are awesome. He is listed as 15 pounds heavier than he was listed last year, and his stats indicate he is getting more rebounds. I wonder how hard it will be to get into the games. His conference is in Chapel Hill’s backyard and he is a hot topic there.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2003
  4. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Great post and thanls for the terrific info. Plesae p[ost often to keep us informed what's going on in the eastern part of the state

5. pcon

pcon Premium Member

Is the the guy that Vance HS is name after?

6. CFBall

CFBall Senior Member

Tommy.................we here at TBR need to supply you with some
    business cards..... down east is where we need more posters with additional information in all Sports whether its northeastern NC or southeastern Ball. Hopefully you will pass the word about the neatest little forum in NC and beyond to others throughout your "viewing range"! Keep it up and as mentioned, Great Stuff!

You know i am dying to know the scoop on those girls of summer in the area.....;)

Have a great bball season and another special Holiday Season!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2003
  7. Tommy_Perkins

CFBall,

Drop me a line at [email protected] and I'll send you my snail mail address. The local papers are The Outer Banks Sentinel, the Coastland Times (Manteo) and the Daily Advance (Elizabeth City). You might want to write to their sports editors, or I can pass your cards on to them. Your group would be a good one for statewide sports writers to share info.

Seems like most of the internet-discussion-groups people I know are not into prep sports and the prep-sports people I know are not into discussion groups.

8. Tommy_Perkins

According to my own calculations, Curry now has 2740 career points, just 18 points shy of the record. Looks like the record will fall at Andrews on Tuesday night.

9. Tommy_Perkins

“December 16, 2003: The state of North Carolina, has a new leader atop the all-time high scoring list in JamesOn Curry. Curry only needed 21 points to break the former record, he got 41. Curry also has five assists, three turnovers, four steals, 7 rebounds, and two blocks in the contest.”

http://www.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=230070

10. CFBall

CFBall Senior Member

:applause:

Outstanding,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,all american year in progress!

Happy Holidays to all our friends in eastern NC...........my favorite part of the world actually and to especially Tommy Perkins and his family and rocketdad .........yours too!!!

any tournaments coming up after Christmas??