1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Interesting: Cardinal Gibbons HS - Raleigh

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by EastOfRaleigh, Nov 15, 2006.

1. EastOfRaleigh

EastOfRaleigh Full Access Member

this article was in the Raleigh N & O today: FYI..............................

WHY GIBBONS? The NCHSAA was bombarded with questions last week after Cardinal Gibbons successfully defended its 2-A volleyball championship and swept the 2-A boys and girls cross country championships.
    Supporters of teams that lost want to know how Gibbons -- a private parochial school -- possibly can be a member of the NCHSAA.
    The NCHSAA Articles of Incorporation are clear: "Any North Carolina public or non-boarding parochial high school is eligible for membership."
    Gibbons has been highly successful in NCHSAA competition. The Crusaders won championships in boys cross country, girls cross country and volleyball, lost in the dual-team tennis final and are in the state boys soccer semifinals.

BTW, the definition of "parochial school": a school supported by a religious organization.

2. PersonRocketDad

PersonRocketDad Moderator

East you have a pm

You have a pm

3. Warrior Pride

Warrior Pride Full Access Member

The only problem I have with some of these schools playing in NCHSAA is they are still typically private schools. They get kids from all over, instead of like public schools, you have to live in the school district. I don't know all the facts, but I have heard they even offer scholarships to athletes to help out with the cost of tuition. I have seen the same thing around the Charlotte area, with schools like Charlotte Chatholic. Me personally I can see were West Henderson has a great argument, but you don't blame Cardinal Gibbons, you blame the NCHSAA.