1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Hypothetical situation

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by PhoenixPhan, Mar 16, 2014.

1. PhoenixPhan

PhoenixPhan Full Access Member

Two excellent teams are locked in a pitcher's dual. It is the bottom of the 4th and you are down 1-0 with runners on 2nd & 3rd and no outs. The problem is that the runner on 3rd is one of the slower kids on your team and you have already pinch run for her once. To put in a sub would mean that she could not re-enter, but you have quality players on the bench. What do you do?

Assuming the same situation as above, but there is now one out and you didn't sub for the slow runner. A ground ball is hit to 2nd (with the infield back at normal depth and the #9 hitter on deck.) Assume that the 2nd baseman SHOULD be able to throw to the plate in time to retire the runner. Do you send the runner from 3rd? Why or why not?

2. stiksdad

stiksdad Full Access Member

Would depend on a couple things, is she slow and a smart base runner or not, I have seen players who are not necessarily gifted with speed but are smart and get great jumps. Another thing how is the ball hit, if its hit backhand side I am scoring her, if its hit glove hand side probably not, theres only one out so I still have another chance, but my 9 hitter, hits pretty well, they may not have that advantage, just a lot of variables. How good is the second base players arm too would be a factor.

3. PhoenixPhan

PhoenixPhan Full Access Member

Since runs are tough to come by in this game and it is the 4th inning, I would send the runner from third. As soon as the ball comes off the bat and is down (grounder), she would be going unless she reads that it is hit to the pitcher. I would force the defense to make the tougher play. If they make it, I still have 1st and 3rd (rather than 2nd & 3rd), but with a faster runner now on 3rd.

However, I would have put a sub in to get speed on third so that she would score and tie the game on a sac fly or ground ball.