1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

HS TENNIS Fall 2006 (girls)

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by EastOfRaleigh, Sep 6, 2006.

1. EastOfRaleigh

EastOfRaleigh Full Access Member

I know that tennis does not get much attention on this forum; but please post worthy accomplishments for teams and individuals for the NC HS girls tennis season. Thanks.

2. wossa

wossa Not a ********* any more

well I guess I can give you a reply.

Ragsdale girls won the State 3A title last year without any seniors on the team.

Every player is back and they are 15-0 this year - hopefully looking to repeat.

3. CFBall

CFBall Senior Member

Shelby (2A)

watch'em!!

Blair Lutz,Sophomore, a #4 seed is my favorite and my neice.

love Tennis talk!

4. EastOfRaleigh

4A

in the neuse river 4A conference down here in Wake/ Johnston Co.'s, Smithfield Selma HS is undefeated and I think that they have won all their matches 9 - 0. wow!!!

all seniors seeds 1 -6.

5. EastOfRaleigh

correction

SSS HS has won all matches , but 2 of the wins were 5-4 & 7-2 over SE Raleigh, the 2nd place team in the conference.

6. EastOfRaleigh

found out things about HS tennis

at the conf. tennis matches yesterday, they did not play it all the way out to a singles & doubles champion, but just went to the semifinals level to determine regional qualifiers.

this was Greater Neuse River 4A.

also in tennis (at least in our conf, don't know about rest of state); you had to choose between singles & doubles play for the conf match, then you have to continue in that chosen play throughout the state playoffs.

seems weird; is this mostly an effort to speed up the time taken to finish matches?

7. patsfansince85

patsfansince85 Yes, really!

Playoffs were to begin today, but, needless to say, rain is pushing many of them to another date.

8. painter

painter Junior Member

My daughter is a junior and this is how it's been since she started playing as a freshman. Kinda weird, I am still getting use to it. She played # 1 singles thru the season but went with her # 1 doubles team to conference play...qualified for regionals as 4 singles and 4 doubles from our conf qualify to go. The # 1 school also sent their # 1 in at doubles...could be a coaches choice, could be several reasons, my dd just wants to play and enjoys playing with her senior partner...also only the top 2 school season finishers go to dual team playoffs...now here's the tricky part you have dual team and you have singles/doubles playoffs. So it might be to speed up things since you have "2 tennis playoffs" so to speak. If you come in third in your conference then you have to hope for 1 of the 4 wild card invites, for the whole state and this all depends on... clear as mud, right? So you could have a winning record such as my daughters school (13-6) with only losses coming to the # 1 and # 2 in conference play and to a 4a school ( her school is 3a) and not go while one # 1 school had a 6-6 record that will meet one of the wild cards. Still clear as mud, right? Hey, it's a great sport that when you get to the higher level it's not just about the athletic ability but the smarts to out think your opponent as to what you are going to do next. Course some still have success in just keeping the ball in play and waiting for the other player to make the mistake. Lots of fun to watch and a sport that you can play into your 90's and beyond, just need a racket, couple of balls and another person that wants to have fun.
    Good luck to all the girls.

9. EastOfRaleigh

agree but

painter, thanks for your post on tennis, but I don't know if I can go all the way and say that HS tennis is "fun to watch".
    BTW.........my daughter is also a jr. , has played 3 yr's, was 3rd seed on her team , & barely missed qualifying for regional doubles. had to play conf tourn doubles with a girl she wasn't accustomed to playing with because her normal doubles partner all season chose to play singles in the tourn thinking her chances to advance were better because all the best singles players from conf were playing doubles in playoffs. sorry for the long sentence. & the partner was correct; she has advanced to singles play in regionals after having a losing record in singles during the regular season although she was #1 seed for our team in singles.

anyway back to the "fun"....... I am a longtime youth softball & basketball coach , not tennis. I am more accustomed to the rah-rah, screaming, yelling, cheering !!! , etc, etc at sporting events. Tennis has been difficult for me to find the fun. Before the conf tourn, they asked the spectators to put their cell phones on vibrate and keep the noise down!! really.

10. painter

painter Junior Member

tennis fun

Hey, I know what you mean...I also played softball (starting with ll baseball in 4th grade...in MD not NC) for many years, coached hs in my previous life as well as basketball and volleyball...I am one to be a cheerleader now so it has been real hard to really sit on myself and only clap between points for good shots made by our team. I find the fun in...my daughters enjoyment of the game and watching good "athletic" players. That's the old PE teacher coming out in me, I quess. Yes, I think coaches believe that doubles will go farther. My daughter would have been happy with what ever the coach decided, he is a good coach as well as considerate of his players and discussed it with her before the final decision was made. Of the 6 starters, all but my daughter were seniors so she felt like they had seniorty in what they played anyway ( she had played # 1 and had a 12/7 record). Wow, congratulations to your # 1 girl, luck was in her corner...sorry for your daughter, though. Too bad they don't allow all singles and doubles that want to play to play but still limit it to the top 4 finishers moving on...seems would be more fair.
    Yes, I am waiting for Feb/March to come...yea for softball!!!! Then I can let my cheers ring out anytime. They didn't say anything to us about cells or pagers at our conference...
    Good Luck to your daughters tennis team in dual's.