1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Help Me Here ??

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by Softball Guru, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Softball Guru

Softball Guru Banned From TBR

I read all the time on TBR where it is noted that if a kid is a freshman she is a starting freshman. Why shouldn't she start if she is better than the upper classmen?? If I was a high school coach I would put my best 9 on the field, and if it happens to be all freshmen so be it. My DD has played all 4 years as a varsity player, because she has worked her butt off to obtain a starting position, and if yours has also she should start. I don't get this comment she started when she was a freshmen thing !! Does that make it special because she is a freshman?? Again if she is better than the senior she should start. I know a lot of freshmen that are better than many older kids...why do you think this is ?? Maybe because they have worked their butts off all year round to obtain a starting spot on the team....Maybe ??......EOC

Guru

2. softballphreak

softballphreak Full Access Member

I agree with putting your best 9 on the field; for the most part. There are reasons for not playing a player but in general I agree with the best 9.

The hardest worker, however, may not be one of the best 9. We've all seen players who work their butts off but just don't get it done on the field. We've also seen some really good players who don't work their butts off.

Sometimes the most deserving don't get the rewards of the most talented when measuring in terms of effort. That's life, I guess.

3. Softball Guru

Okay

I agree with that !!

Guru

4. coach44

coach44 Full Access Member

It's important for coach's to realize that the players skill level can change greatly from year to year. Decisions should not be based on what the player did last year. Someone that is an average player one year with hard work and natural talent can become a very good player. The very good player can become lazy, not work hard and now be the average player.The best players should play regardless of grade!

Sometimes the most deserving don't get the rewards they deserve but with hard work, natural ability and good coaching they will. It's not where you start, it's where you finish that counts!

Keep working hard and don't let anyone discourage you in meeting your goal as a player!

5. homerun

homerun Full Access Member

Last year was a good example. Alexander Central started freshmen at pitcher and catcher. Results ---STATE CHAMPS

This year two more freshmen starting at first and short.

6. Softball Guru

Exactly !!

It wouldn't matter if they are freshmen or not they are a great team that plays as a team. Each member does her part, and that is why they win..I just get tired of she was a starting freshmen she must be great....the answer is yes she was probably a great 7th grader and 8th grader also..I guess to some it is a big deal that she started as a FRESHMAN !!! How good can you get ?? I think eventually you peak out at some age...but what do I know, my daughter can't play...LOL......Guru

7. fastpitchdad1994

fastpitchdad1994 Where is the GURU???

Well said coach44! All I would add to that is..... In order to finish, one must start.

8. breakwater

breakwater Full Access Member

Starting as a freshmen is a bigger deal at some schools than others. At AC,ND and others who have great programs year in and year out you typically have to be better than upperclassmen to start as a freshmen (take her spot that's a big deal). At other programs where there are not a many quality returning players freshmen will sometimes start just because they came to play ( not as big of a deal) ...... Or is it, ask her I bet it is

9. Softball Guru

Y ??

You said it in your own sentence....Okay the player is a freshman, and she is better than the upper classman, why does it matter that she is classified as a freshman ?? Oh I see her age makes her less likely to be as good.....No, that's not it ?? Her height maybe ....weight then ?? Muscle memory ?? Been on the earth lesser time ?? I 'm trying..REALLY... give me one more chance...Please !!! Less talented, no that couldn't be it !!! I have heard for years that there is no difference between 14-16 travel ball, after 16, they could be 21 and there is no difference.. You aren't messing with an idiot here...even though some seem to think so...LOL......My whole point of the thread is that it doesn't matter if she is in diapers if she is better than her peers she is better,and name tagging someone with freshman doesn't mean a hill of beans if she can pull her load...

Guru

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010