1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Getting Fields In Shape

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by SouthPawDad, Jan 23, 2003.

1. SouthPawDad

SouthPawDad Full Access Member

With school out today and probably tomorrow, it'd be a great time to call the team together and start whipping the fields into shape...if you could find the field!

2. NCBBallFan

NCBBallFan Retired ex-moderator

You don't have to paint the lines, but you might want to use some on the "grass" areas to look a little greener.....:xyzwave:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2003
  3. SabreFan

SabreFan Faithful Fan

Coach Bagwell at South Meck had volunteer baseball supporters working on the South Meck baseball field last Saturday and had another work day on Saturday, 1/25, planned but, due to inclement weather, the 1/25 work day at the South Meck baseball field had to be canceled. You can bet that there will be work days probably about every Saturday until the high school baseball season starts at South Meck. South Meck is one of the premier high school baseball fields in the area at this time due to Coach Bagwell's relentless efforts along with his baseball supporters!

4. SouthPawDad

SouthPawDad Full Access Member

Ashbrook also had a work day last weekend and cancelled today's. We'll have a consession stand and restrooms completed at the field and for the first time in 30 years won't use porta johns! The new concession stand/press box is great! It sits between the baseball and softball fields, with press box windows overlooking each. Speaker systems will be in place for both so that games can be announced simultaneously. This project, when totally complete with landscaping, etc., will be nearly $150,000. All raised by the Ashbrook Athletic Booster Club! Nothing from the city of Gastonia or county school system. If any of you "old hardballers" want to make a contribution, just contact me. Yes, I'm shameless!! SPD

5. Papabear

Papabear Full Access Member

I heard Myers Park spent a few dollars last fall reworking their field. What was done, and are there plans for more renovation?

6. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Do donations count by attending some of your games :D

I'll tell ya what though SPD. Just post me over to that house behind HP with all those birds and I'll throw back all the foul balls...that'll save you some money :)

Oh Yeah...CONGRATULATIONS. You guys did a great job over there. :applause:

7. SabreFan

SabreFan Faithful Fan

Papabear: I think that you must have Myers Park mixed up with South Meck. I cannot think of a single upgrade that Myers Park had done to their baseball field in quite a while. However, the South Meck Baseball Booster Club ONLY in 2002 (not the South Meck Athletic Booster Club nor any donations from the Char-Meck School System) raised approximately $100,000 spear headed by Coach Hal Bagwell to put up new state of the art light system around the baseball field to light up the complex for excellent night baseball games and also installed a first rate brick backstop with new poles and netting as well. Who would have ever thought that just lights and a new backstop would have cost so much but the baseball parents at South Meck rose to the occasion for a great cause which was very important to their baseball coach. But again, like I said before, the project would have never been completed if not for the dedication from Hal Bagwell and the baseball staff at South Meck. This year already in 2003 a second batting cage has been added to the South Meck baseball complex again raised ONLY from funds raised by Coach Hal Bagwell.

8. gonzo

gonzo Full Access Member

Papabear, Myers Park had the infield redone (sorry Sabre, you guys are not the only ones raising money). The infield was lazer graded, all new sod put done, and mound was redone. Also had concrete pads put under batting cages. There is more in the works, including foul line fencing.

Sabrefan, has Bagwell done anything about putting pads on that brick backstop? Someone is going to get hurt on that thing. Has anyone besides me seen a good fastball come off that thing? First time in my life I have seen a pitcher field a passed ball.

9. Prepster

Prepster Full Access Member

Hats off to Coach Chet Greeson and his parents at East Meck; who, on a budget that I suspect is tens of thousnds shy of $100 thousand, have worked their facility into one of the nicest playing fields in the region. My sense from talking with them is that a tremendous amount of time and sweat...much of it Coach Greeson's..have gone into it, and it shows!

What I'd bet he'd give for some of the affluence that has fueled South Meck's impressive transformation (Although, that has taken a lot of hard work, too.). Who knows, with some of those dollars he might be able to afford some lights that would enable the batter to see the approaching ball after dark!

10. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

You know, that's a good point Prepster...the lights are too low! Outfielders complain of not seeing the ball off the bat very well.

Gonzo, Bagwell likes his backstop with no padding. It does make for an interesting passed ball, but I tend to agree with you.

Chet Greeson and the supporters at East Meck...:applause:

I like MP's field...I liked it even more before they tore all the trees and hill down. It lost some of it's ambience