1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Freedom Freshmen

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by The Captain, Mar 23, 2007.

1. allrightnow

allrightnow Free

I can tell you from being around the Tommy Russ days that the players absolutely hated the man and played for themselves and not him. I saw one player leave the team in the middle of the game because he'd had enough of the idiot. My own kid gave up the game he loved at the HS level because of him yet still played well in travel ball. Russ didn't care. There is a story that his own son gave up the game because of him and that comes from people that played with him. You'd be surprised at the people who have said they wouldn't spit on him if he was on fire. He was not well liked and he wouldn't do the necessary things for his players. I know from a couple of parents of kids that played for Russ at the same time as TR that Tommy had a letter from the WCU coach wanting to talk to his seniors. They never knew about it until it was too late. They were not happy either.

It isn't altogether true that Freedom has not had baseball success. Wilton Daves had good teams over the years he coached and was loved by all of his players that I've heard about.

I'm still surprised about Jeff Williams. He had some success as the JV coach but the varsity success eluded him. Too bad. He was a good person and I still believe a good coach. I'm still working on finding out why he resigned.

The only sport at Freedom that has had any "real" success at Freedom has been the girls basketball team and somewhat by the boys team. It's a mess there and will probably never change.

2. The Captain

The Captain Full Access Member

I am very good friends with Coach Daves and he is one of the finest people I have ever known. I was not following FHS baseball during his tenure but in talking with him, he talks about how much he enjoyed his players and helping them develop as young men.
    I ran into Coach Daves after Williams resignation and he too expressed surprise but admitted that he was not to knowlegable about Jeff's methods and philosophy.
    I told him that whatever positives Jeff posessed at the onset of his opportunity at Freedom, my experience was identical to what you describe in the Russ years. It was as if Russ indoctrinated Williams to the Russ way of doing things. Athletic PE for practice, Prejudging players ability, no contact with middle school or travel team programs, no desire or effort for community support. In Williams 1st year as head coach, he pulled a Russ, bringing a freshman(albiet a good freshman) onto the team to play in front of a senior who had established himself and paid his dues. This disrupted and weakened the JVs who had a solid group and had been winners as well causing conflict on the Varsity. It culminated in a coach/parent public standoff at an opposing stadium further damaging the programs public image.
    Another Russ moment occured in Williams first season at Freedom when, as a JV head coach, cut a player that Russ had annointed as a "star" since the kid was in seventh grade. Couple of days later, not only was the player back on William's team but was made the focal point of the team (and program) for the remainder of his career.
    Anyway, Coach Daves remarked that his only observation had been that the team didn't seem to practice as much as when he was at the helm as they would start after school and go til dark everyday.
    I could go on and on but really, what's the point.

3. loveofthegame

loveofthegame Full Access Member

I do not have a problem with brining up a freshman and start him in front of any one. You start your best 9. But if the feashman does not work out i do have a problem with letting him staying up. He needs to go back down to JV and get playing time. It is a big gamble to bring up a freshman but i have seen it work and i have seen it turn ugly.

4. The Captain

The Captain Full Access Member

Agree but in this instance, there was little difference in the talent level and and the freshman could have helped this jv maintain and establish ar leagcy of success. Instead both programs were weakened, doubt set in, a pattern of losing was established and the rest is history.
    However, if the freshman is a prodigy and will be an impact player for the Varsity then by all means, suit him up.
    Otherwise keep your core team together. That being said, the situation at Freedom this season required the Freshmen to be brought up or the school would have been unable to field a team.