1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Freedom Freshmen

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by The Captain, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Pioneer-Pride16

Pioneer-Pride16 Baseball is Everything

garsh. I sure do hope this means I'm increasingly becoming more eligible to receive a PRO-PREFERRED baseball glove for my birthday :drool5: :drool5:
    see! i'm salivating over the idea !!

ha. actually.. i sort of cheated Braves. the answer to your trivia question was on the previous page of the same thread..Freedom Freshman.

2. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Heck....that's what i get for not reading the whole thread. I learned my lesson....sorry SoutherNo1 for the repeat; at least great minds think alike. Well, in my case, drop the great

3. The Captain

The Captain Full Access Member

Andrew Martin

Andrew was at school yesterday. Word has it that he looked somewhat like Rocky after 15 rounds with Apollo Creed. He was in good spirits even though his right eye was nearly closed. Has stitches and massive bruising but otherwise OK. He will be out for a while though. Patriot jvs also lost another player in a baserunning collision that was ugly.
    Of course the line drive off of Martin along with the scary shot Austin Attaway took on the mound from the bat of John Hinson last week brings up the issue of metal v. wood bats again. What's is gonna take to get the HS's to go back to wood? (I know but I won't say or even think it.)
    The players at the HS level are getting stronger and better each year and the high tech bats are adding to the danger.

4. Braves

You and I both know what it's going to take...and perhaps a few lawsuits.

5. The Captain

Hey Braves

Do you think the Patriots can win a NW4A game this season?

6. Braves

Of course I do, but don't ask me which team or I'll get a lot of hate mail.

7. The Captain

Well sure they are capable of winning a conference game but do you think they WILL win a conference game this season?
    I have been around baseball for a long time. I have seen about everything. But I have never seen a program so snake bit as this one. Over the last four years, they have lost so many games in the last inning or on a flukish play that it defies the odds.
    In your opinion, what drives this dynamic and what can be done to reverse it. The players arive at FHS with a history of success in LL, Middle School and Travel ball...The put on a Patriot uniform and all of a sudden they start losing. Even when they go over to play Legion, the same players seem to hit field and throw better and win games.
    Please give me your take on this.

8. Braves

It's been my experience with the situation that you described, the problem has always been with a lack of leadership from the head coach.

Obviously, I don't know this to be the reason since I don't know the coach, but the times I have witnessed the "snake bit" teams, that was what's missing. They always had good talent, but found ways to lose. It's almost like they expected it. Example, a player boots an easy ground ball at a crucial time. The reaction is "Oh-oh.....here we go". The other teams goes, " Shake it off..your going to get the next one"..and they always do.

The one team is waiting to lose, the other team is pushing to win. You see those teams each year at all levels of baseball and they all have one common denominator..the coach.

9. The Captain

Thank you , Sage. I concur.
    The interim coach at Freedom has made some changes in his approach to practice and willingness to experiment with lineups, batting orders and positions.
    He really seems to be much more of a "baseball guy" than the preveious two coaches. It also seems that he understands the commitment piece of the job as well as the communication piece as it relates to players and parents as well.
    I really like Coach Scott and hope that the team can get some success so perhaps he can remove "interim" from his title. This is a great opportunity for him and I hope that things work out. A couple of W's would sure help the cause.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  10. Braves

There you go..it sounds like he has the right ingredients and I hope he can turn it around. But, if it doesn't work out, I understand the softball team is very good with a lot of success, so maybe you won't have to look far :cheer: