1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Favorite Hitting Drills

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by G2G, Aug 7, 2008.

1. central-d

central-d Full Access Member

I would like to hear thoughts on palm up palm down theory. I personally don't like to teach that with girls as it tends to cause them to try and lift the ball. I try to teach more of palms perpendicular to the ground and over the years have seen it produces more line drive type hitters. Still as they come to the ball hands will at some point early in the swing be palm up palm down but by the time they get to impact hands are more in the "shaking hands" position. Any thoughts on this

2. G2G

G2G Member

I totaly agree with it needing to be informational. I just do not think it is as black and white as some do, so I like to hear what others have to say. I also think people need to explain why they think the way they do and not just throw something out there. You all can start it now but I would like to be in the conversation and I will not be back at a computer until Monday. I am looking forward to seeing the hybrid swings you have, I have never had someone put it that way but that is what I have been saying in other words or awhile. again getting ahead of myself.
    Scott Miller
    www.gaptogapsoftball.com

3. G2G

G2G Member

I like the palm up palm down theory. However, I do not preach it to my players because they try to get to that position and therefore you run into the problem of the popping up.
    I teach them on how to throw the elbows at the ball correctly and then naturaly this will put them in the proper position. Whithout them knowing what we are trying to achieve. I try to make my hitters learn their swing but for younger ones the more they think they know the more trouble they get in because they over think what they should be doing.
    The thing I do not like about the hands in the shaking hands position is that it is a weaker position and tends to lead girls into rolling over balls. At contact they are in the middle of the process of rolling over. It also stops the hitter form staying on plane before and after contact.
    Scott MIller
    www.gaptogapsoftball.com

4. central-d

central-d Full Access Member

I totally agree. You explained it better than me but when they try to go palm up palm down I get the same thing, popups. As you said they will get there but if you stress this they all over do it

5. Wildcat Fan

Wildcat Fan Full Access Member

Along the lines of hitting, can anyone

recommend a hitting coach in Western NC or the Piedmont for girls in the 9-12 years of age range? Thanks in advance!

6. Homer3

Homer3 Full Access Member

See Bmac1!

I've good things about Bmac. I don't have his contact info, but I'm sure plenty on here do. Or I'm sure you can just send him a private message.

I know of at least 8 D-1 players (as well a bunch of younger ones) who he has worked with through the years on hitting, slapping and catching. He also came out to our little league last fall and gave wonderful hitting clinic for our girls.

7. Softball Guru

Softball Guru Banned From TBR

Talking About Opinions ???

This will definite open up a can of worms immediately...I know who the rotational people will be ---huh T.H. ????

8. Hammerdog

Hammerdog Full Access Member

Square the ball

I have been watching these girls hit for about 2 years and there are very few who can consistantly square the ball with either swing (Rotational or Linear) I feel that is the real issue in any swing. The most important thing in the swing is to make solid contact and not hit weak ground balls or pop-ups to the infield as about 90% of all outs are, if they are able to put the ball in play.Wrist snap is of critical importance IMO, it is the unhinging of the wrist the will allow the bat head to square the ball at contact, and that is that is where the pop in ones swing comes from. How one gets to the ball is of personal choice but if you can't square the ball what is the result. The better hitters in any league will have pop in their swing and IMO that comes from the wrist propelling the bathead to the contact point. Just my two cents.

9. betterbatter

betterbatter Full Access Member

Palm up, palm down should occur naturally at contact in a mechanically sound swing with a correct grip. If the grip is not palm up, palm down at contact, wrist roll will begin too early and the batter's arms cannot deliver their maximum potential including the transfer of energy generated by core rotation. Early wrist roll can prevent the bat from tracking on the line of the pitch through the contact zone.

Slow motion clips of the best baseball and softball players show palm up, palm down at contact.

Pop ups can be caused by lots of things not related to the hands.

10. betterbatter

betterbatter Full Access Member

What do you mean by "squaring the ball"?