1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Facts You Should Know About Baseball Pitching

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by PHS1983, Nov 18, 2008.

1. PHS1983

PHS1983 Play Hard

Read these things online- maybe someone would like to comment.I hilited some of them that I have been told to do to increase velocity, and someone tell me what #32 means. I think it means keep the hands together as long as possible.

I know we have been to camps, etc and they preach some of the things list below that this site said doesnt work. Just wondering what some of the coaches, and experienced baseball folks think.

1. Long toss, weighted balls, and weight training do not improve pitching velocity, but they do waste a lot of valuable time.
    2. Additional strength does not improve pitching velocity or reduce injuries.
    3. Stretching before pitching reduces velocity and increases the risk of injury.
    4. Flat ground pitching and long toss are more stressful than pitching from a mound.
    5. Flat ground pitching reduces performance and disrupts pitching mechanics.
    6. Moving slow and controlled reduces velocity while moving faster improves it.
    7. Throwing and pitching are two completely different activities.
    8. Playing catch has little benefit for pitching.
    9. Moving the body faster improves control of all pitches.
    10. The towel drill, balance drill, or kneeling drill reduce performance and disrupt mechanics as do most pitching drills.
    11. Bigger pitchers are not less likely to get injured than smaller pitchers.
    12. Long toss should never be done during the season unless briefly as part of a warm-up routine.
    13. Weight training has no value when performed during the season but may increase the risk of injury.
    14. Pitching at less than game intensity has no value for improving pitching performance or mechanics.
    15. Emphasizing a balance position in the delivery reduces velocity.
    16. Stepping to the side before lifting the leg up makes no sense.
    17. Pitching should not be encouraged to stay tall.
    18. The faster you move the faster you throw.
    19. The faster you move the less chance of mechanical errors.
    20. The body produces velocity not the arm.
    21. The longer your stride and the closer you are to the plate the better control you will have.
    22. To reduce the risk of injury throw more practice pitches at game intensity while using good mechanics.
    23. Icing the arm has no proven benefit after pitching.
    24. Building lower body strength does not improve pitching velocity.
    25. Trying to stay tall in the pitching delivery reduces velocity and control.
    26. Videotaping a pitcher's delivery is the single most important tool for improving velocity and control.
    27. Throwing fewer pitches in practice produces more not less injuries.
    28. Flexible tubing exercises do not improve velocity or reduce arm injuries.
    29. Most pitchers are not fit to pitch because they do not pitch enough.
    30. Emphasizing hip and trunk rotation can reduce velocity.
    31. The momentum of the body is the single biggest indicator of pitching velocity.
    32. To improve pitching velocity pitchers should break their hands later.
    33. Smaller pitchers do not have less inherent stamina than larger pitchers.
    34. A high leg lift will reduce potential velocity.
    35. There are not exercises to improve velocity.
    36. Doing explosive full body exercises are more effective than weight training and reduce the risk of injury.

2. JM15

JM15 Moderator

I disagree.

3. Diesel1

Diesel1 Stay Strong, Uncle Sam.

Wher ein the world did you copy this from?!?! :mr-t:

4. Dalai Velama

Dalai Velama Full Access Member

This Material

Did you go to Jokes.com and find these statements. I gotta call my trainers and coaches over the past years and tell them they are doing it all wrong... HAHAHA!

5. Diesel1

Diesel1 Stay Strong, Uncle Sam.

Seriously... I have re-read at least three times and still can't believe the majority of what I am reading.... wow :77321_bs:

6. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

This must be from Dr Mike Marshall's school of philosophy. It's too strange to comment

7. TheOriole

TheOriole Full Access Member

simple!

regardless of everything...get ahead, throw strikes, keep the ball down and away from the hitter!:fryingpan::fryingpan::fryingpan: I don t care if you throw 50 or 95 lefty or right girl or guy one hand or two etc........................ just do it/get the job done, and finally take care of your arm by LISTENING to it and taking care of it! SIMPLE/KISS!!!!!:rock_band:

8. coachbb45

coachbb45 Junior Member

I am a big believer in video. I like to video several times a year during the season. At the beginning, I look for things that might be causing control problems. Or making sure that the pitchers are throwing breaking pitches correctly. How consistant are their mechanics early. Avoiding the bad habits that I may have to change later. No one wants to be doing that during the season. You just want the guy to think about pitching. Then, during the season to see if there are changes in the mechanics. I had a pitcher that was all strikes and his control got away from him. I watched the video, found the flaw and it was fixed. I video because I want to show the pitcher what he is doing. Sometimes they may not understand what you are saying until they see it for themselves. A lot of people are visual learners. Bad mechanics can reduce control and velocity. It can cause injury as well.

9. throwheat22

throwheat22 Full Access Member

wow

You read enough on the internet and you'll find these so called "guru's" saying all sorts of crazy stuff. From that list, a few of my "opinions" :

Stretching before RUNNING MAY increases the risk of injury

Playing catch PROPERLY has GREAT benefit for pitching (HUGE)

Emphasizing a balance position in the delivery CAN reduces velocity IF IT REDUCES FORWARD MOMENTUM.

The body DELIVERS the arm.

Ice DRINKS, NOT ARMS ... UNLESS THERE IS AN INJURY. RUN/BIKE INSTEAD.

The FORWARD momentum of the body is AN IMPORTANT FACTOR IN DEVELOPING velocity.

Doing CORE body exercises are an effective training method FOR PITCHERS

* There are no absolutes in pitching, except that you must throw first pitch strikes.

10. Low & Slow

Low & Slow Full Access Member

This all from Dick Mills' Explosive Energy pitching tips and video series...Google Dick Mills pitching and you will see all of this and more....