1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Coverage questions and more

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by Langston Wertz Jr., Apr 26, 2005.

1. CCHSvikefan81

CCHSvikefan81 Full Access Member

The softball coach was not the AD if thats what your asking he may coach another sports but i dont think so.

2. CFBall

CFBall Senior Member

LWertz......got any thoughts on this Now??

3. Langston Wertz Jr.

Langston Wertz Jr. Full Access Member

Girls sports in general are exploding in popularity. We see it in the youth leagues, especially with soccer. I think a lot of papers are going to have to re-examine how they do things in the coming years because of the interest. For me I think it's an opportunity to pull in non-tradiitional readers. Treat it right from the beginning and recognize the trend. I don't like soccer and don't know it too well, but I have seen and can see the tidal wave of interest. It's why I've pushed to cover soccer and get it in the paper.

4. Langston Wertz Jr.

A little background. Vicki Hamilton is director of athletics for Charlotte-Mecklenburg's 26 middle and 15 high schools. She could not suspend a coach in Cabarrus County.

Coach Sherrill was suspended by folks at his school and by the Cabarrus County AD. Hamilton and West Charlotte's AD, Tony Guylitto, had nothing to do with it. They knew of the suspension, as did most coaches in Charlotte because it was the "talk of the town."

55-0 in a softball game is a lot different than 55-0 in football. What's 55 "runs" in football anyway? 330-0? And that's before extra points. I like and respect Monte Sherrill and he's been nothing but helpful to me in my career, but I think there's got to be a way to keep that score down a bit. I also agree with Jena Janovy's column Sunday that Monte is the type coach I would love to have on staff. Dude wins.

Tom Knotts' favorite quote to me used to be, "football games are 48 minutes and it's your job to stop me." In some ways it's true, but at some point, it's time to call off the dogs, even if means just bunting back to the pitcher or intentionally staying on base to be tagged out.

5. EnkaJet04

EnkaJet04 Full Access Member

You can always tell when someone earns their living by being articulate and saying what we all feel without trying to offend. GReat Job. I would love to have had my DD play for Monte but in the same breath I know you can keep a score like that down as well. Thanks for putting in to words that which some of us who support Monte but disagree with the score could not put into words without offending people or throwing stones. :rocktoss

6. Langston Wertz Jr.

Thanks for your kind words. much appreciated.