1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Composite bats in batting cages

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by JavelinCatcher, Jun 19, 2008.

1. JavelinCatcher

JavelinCatcher Full Access Member

Need some advice here cheeze. I have been told previously that you should not use composite bats in batting cages or against pitching machines. Something about the balls don't compress as good and that can hurt/break the bat. Additionally, if you use them in the cages, the manufacturer will not honor the warranty. I was at our local batting cages last night and they have demo bats that you can use. I asked a couple of them about using the composite bats in the cages and they said there was nothing wrong with it.

Reason I am asking is I am getting ready to get my DD a new bat and would rather she use it in the cages if she can to help break it in but my other DD used to use her composite bat in the cages and it broke in half at the neck.

Thoughts? Does anyone else let their DD use the composite bats in cages?

2. softballphreak

softballphreak Full Access Member

I've seen many bats of all types being used in the cages at Grand Slam by people of many levels of strength. I've never seen a bat damaged by the balls used in the cages except wooden bats. I've seen quite a few wooden bats break there.

During team practices they use pitching machines and it doesn't seem to harm them, either.

In the past year or so I have seen many more broken bats than I used to. I suspect it's the way they're manufactured. It seems to me that the rubber-type balls used in the cages would give more than the compressed playing balls.

3. TD4SC

TD4SC Full Access Member

My daughter has used composites in cages for the last for 4 years with no problems. If fact it maybe to your advantage with a composite for break in purposes. I have also had some of the Eastons get loose at the joint and sent them back in and never had a problem with warranty. I was smart enough to remove that nasty marks from machine balls before I sent it off. Get Cheeze to get you a Techzilla anyway that bat is HOT! My daughter has finally put her Stealth down. There are too many questions to be answered about the future of composites in the months to come for me to purchase another composite.

4. JavelinCatcher

Interesting...

My DD REALLY wants the Stealth. Could you or your DD compare the Techzilla to the Stealth? The Stealth, IMO, is very balanced. Don't want my DD to get a bat that is top heavy. We used to have the Oklahoma City bat from Miken that was very top heavy and both my DDs had a tough time getting it through the zone consistently.

5. rattdd

rattdd Full Access Member

Information

If you need more information on the Composite bats and the situation around them, please PM me, and you will be contacted about your questions.
    Thanks.:winkiss:

6. TD4SC

TD4SC Full Access Member

JC All kids are different. My daughter had been swinging 32-22 Stealth and now the 32-22 TZ. She had no adjustment at all switching over. The bat does feel a little heavier than the Stealth. The TZ is more balanced than the Rocket Tech. My daughter wasn't strong enough to use that bat without sacrificing bat speed. We have tried just about everything out there. Rip-It Elite,TPS Catalyst,Combat Virus,Easton Stealth Comp,Rocket Tech and Worth Mayhem. All are good bats. Virus,RT and TZ were the best in my opinion. My daughter has always had more confidence with the Stealth until she tried the TZ. She has the vote that counts not me. People can say what they want regarding composite bats getting grandfathered and all that but nobody really knows. I have seen the latest from ASA and it isn't totally clear. I don't work for any bat company so I have no agenda in saying that.

7. WndMillR

WndMillR Full Access Member

Composite bats in cage

Not sure what happened with your dd's bat that broke...
    but we get the composite demos from the manufacturers every year....
    and have not had any issue with breakage....

Little known secret....most of the FP composite demos that we have
    at GS (2008 models), become team property at Peace in 2009.....

Never had an issue, and they are broken in.....

I saw the future yesterday....

New stealth and synergy fp models will soon be released..

They are " CLEAR".... Will make them easier to see if they have been
    altered or rolled.....

You heard it here first.............

8. JavelinCatcher

Thanks TD. Completely agree, final decision is up to DD (confidence in the bat is everything) but I need to help her make an informed decision. My DD has been swinging a 31 - 21 Synergy and now wants the 33 - 23 Stealth. I will see if our cages have a TZ that she can swing. Am concerned about the composite situation also but will have to get the bat the DD wants...

9. JavelinCatcher

Any idea when soon is and an approximate price (comparible to the current model)? Trying to decide if I should make my DD wait for the new models...

10. TD4SC

TD4SC Full Access Member

WndMillR
    I bet the girls will like that! The one question I would have is if the composite fibers break apart during breakin how are they going to tell if it is normal or rolling. It may sound crazy but that is another reason I wanted a metal bat. Easton makes a bat compression tester. NC ASA ordered one. Once the rating is set it will flunk any bat that doesn't read in that spec. If a well broken in bat flunks that and a kid gets tossed due to that they are labeled a cheater for life. I don't want to take that chance. In my opinion if the older composites are above 98 mph and we know it they all should be banned and manufactures forced to do something with recently purchased bats. I do like the idea of this clear bat and maybe that will stop the cheating on the adult level that is widespread.

Thanks for the info! I have always been a fan of Easton. This is a gripe about all composites and not directed at that manufacturer. They do seem to be taking the lead and stopping the cheaters with this new bat and the testers.