1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Best Legion Rivalrys

Discussion in 'American Legion' started by tj21, May 30, 2007.

1. tj21

tj21 Moderator

Best legion rivalrys has "GOT" to be a topic of discussion, with some of the teams that have so much history playing each other. For example,,, in Caldwell County, you just can't go walking down the street wearing a Cherryville shirt,,, and Shelby has a big history with both of those 2 teams.

In Area 3,,, everyone wants to beat Rowan County because they have been the most successful program over the past 25 years, although Kannapolis has jumped over Rowan to win 3 of the last 4 area championships. Countryboy17 earlier mentioned the wars that Rowan County and Concord had back in the 70's, this is when Kannapolis didn't have a team for a brief period, so all the players in Cabarrus County went to Concord, and Concord gave Rowan all they wanted for a stretch of years during the early 70's until the early 80's.

I'll post more later, but I'd be interested to hear some specifics about other great legion rivalrys in other areas.

2. JM15

JM15 Moderator

Not in the same area, but one jumps out at me right off the bat...

Garner - Caldwell County

3. smashmouth5

smashmouth5 Fly Eagles Fly

The 3 Way Dance that is Shelby, Cherryville, Caldwell County is pretty dang good.

4. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

:laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4:

5. 23109shelby06

23109shelby06 Junior Member

rivals

Garner-Shelby is pretty heated too, although its obviously not a game your going to see every year, but Shelby-Caldwell and Shelby-Cherryville are all games you want to see because you never know what might happen. Heard rumors about a Hendersonville-Caldwell rivalry also.

6. DownSouth

DownSouth Full Access Member

Caldwell, Shelby, Cherryville can only be described compared to as UNC/Duke/NCSU basketball . There is going to be times maybe one team is down, but you are never EVER going to see one of these teams bulldoze another. I think its a perfect example of the Passion of Legion Baseball.

Speaking from the Caldwell side of things. I know (eventhough not many will admit it) there is alot of respect for things Shelby and Cherryville have accomplished. I also remember the words of a former coach in this area... You have to know my name to hate me.

7. olefty

olefty Full Access Member

even though kernersville ain't what is once was there was a time from about 1986-1998 when I would have to say they were the best year in and year out. The rivalry with rowan in the area 3 finals and against wilmington in the state finals was incredible.

of course, staying power means everything. so i realize k-ville isn't at the top anymore.

by the way the old legion format of 7 game series wasn't as convenient and clean as the state tourney of today but there was something magical about those rivalries that were created over a 7 game series....

8. tj21

tj21 Moderator

Olefty,,,,,,, your exactly right about Kernersville/Rowan having some battles in the past,,,,,, and as for the 7-game series, I actually prefer them, because I believe you get the best team out of a 7-game series. Also, Rowan and Hamlet once had a very memorable series, I believe it was Franklin Stubbs that either pitched or homered Hamlet to each of their wins in that series.

9. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Ask olefty about Trot Nixon...I know he has some memories (or nightmares)

10. olefty

olefty Full Access Member

trot- think 6'3'' 200 lbs built like a lumber jack, fastest player on the field, hit home runs in the top of the trees behind the road at east forsyth (450 at least), 14-0 on the mound throwing 92 from the left side, and a major attitude problem. tv doesn't show how big this man is and was at 18 years old.

secondary attributes- hottest girlfriend in the history of baseball girlfriends (she actually caught me staring at her and blew me a kiss), broke several of roman gabriels high school quarterback records and was on his way to NCSU on a football ride, and last, the story goes that when the redsox originally offered him 250,000$ his father laughed and told them I can write you a check for that much!!!

greatest player ever played against or seen on an amateur field.....