1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

4A Scouting Report: 2004 Season

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by NCBBallFan, Nov 25, 2003.

1. NCBBallFan

NCBBallFan Retired ex-moderator

Ok ... lets start guessing. I'll start us off.

2003 Season Final Standings
    1, JH Rose, 26-2
    2, Fuquay-Varina, 23-3
    3, Myers Park, 23-8
    4, North Forsyth, 22-5
    5, Hoggard, 20-6
    6, Central Cabarrus, 19-7
    7, Green Hope, 20-6
    8, South Caldwell, 21-5
    9, Scotland, 20-4
    10, South View, 20-4

Teams that will stay in contention:

JH Rose High School (26-2) Rose just seems to reload every year. They have one of the deepest programs around and are always contenders. Most of last year’s championship team is returning so they have an excellent chance of returning. Key losses: Brack Massey, UNC, David Forbes, Campbell, Mike Flye, ECU

North Forsyth (22-5) NF had great pitching last season. Unfortunately, it graduated, but they have enough returning players to make it interesting. Look for another conference contender this season. Key Losses: Bryan Bowles, WCU, Gib Hobson, NC State

Hoggard (20-6) Hoggard has most of its players returning. They should make it interesting in the east against JH Rose. Look for them to have a strong season in that small park they play in. Key Losses: Bryan Thomas, VA Tech

South Caldwell (21-5) South Caldwell came out of the difficult NW4A last year. They may have trouble hanging on to the top spot in that conference with a surging Alexander Central right behind them, but should be plenty strong enough to make the playoffs and then make some noise.

Scotland County (20-4) Scotland had a great season last year and should return to form again this season. Andy Mudd is going to be a big loss for them. Key Losses: Andy Mudd, Louisburg

Southview (20-4) South View surprised everyone last year. They didn’t have any really big named players, but they were solid top to bottom. They ended up bowing out of the playoffs early, but should return this season with a more experienced team that has now been through the wars.

Teams facing some rebuilding (and sometimes extensive rebuilding).

Fuquay-Varina HS (23-3) FV got hit hard by graduation. They will have to reload in order to return to contention this year. Pre-season pick: finish out of the Top 10. Key losses: Adam McLaurin, NC State, Caleb Mangum, NC State, Grant Price, Campbell, Harris Honeycutt, USC, John Caddell, USC-Spartanburg, Stephen Hanthorn

Myers Park (23-8) With your pitching staff graduating, it’s time to struggle a little bit. Myers Park has an excellent rising junior class, but, for the most part, they haven’t been tested at the varsity level. They are also in a tough conference. The catching corps at MP may be best 1-2 punch in the state, so look for them to help the young pitching staff a lot. Key Losses: Rob Wilson, Davidson, Robert Woodard, UNC

Central Cabarrus (19-7) Central Cabarrus has been devastated by graduation. This has to be considered a rebuilding year. Figure them to finish in the middle of the pack in their conference.

Green Hope (20-6) Green Hope is another school that has been hit hard by graduation. Here in the West, we don’t hear much about the reloading efforts, but they are in a tough conference. Place them out of the money this season. Key losses: Greg Jones, Elon, Jon Willard, USC, Matt Cossa, Trevor Kaylid, James Madison

New Teams that could (or should) break into the Top-10.
    Providence, South Mecklenburg, New Bern, WF-Rolesville, Alexander Central

Last edited: Nov 26, 2003
  2. highntight

highntight North Meck Dad

4A Contenders

NC: I agree with Providence and South Meck making a move this year but beleive you are sand bagging a bit by not listing North Meck as a strong contender! Must be a personal reason? This group will not be able to fly under the radar for long in 2004. Very deep pitching and lots of team speed. The only question mark is will this team hit the ball well enough to contend for the state?

3. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Good catch highntight

I believe since NC is a NM supporter, he is too biased and modest to post a true statement about the power of NM. ...But don't fret, between you and me, we will make sure that North Meck gets the attention they deserve...the best in the city!!!!

4. niner_dad

niner_dad Full Access Member

Appreciate the mention of New Bern as a possible top team this year. For that to happen coach Smith will need a strong #2 arm behind Adam Warren. Possibilities include David Towarnicky ('06, 1B/LHP) and Todd Seymour ('05, OF/LHP). Defense should be solid. The hitting should be better this year. Towarnicky has shown some power this fall, and Ben Fuller ('04, C) should supply some pop in the middle of the line up, as well.

Although New Bern will challenge Rose, finishing number 2 in the Big East would still put them in the playoffs for the first time since '95.

5. NCBBallFan

Braves will post anything to deflect attention away from South Meck. :D :D

The Meca 8 is going to be a tough conference this year and the championship team that makes it out of that conference will be a handful come playoff time. Look for Independence, Hopewell and North Meck to be in a dogfight until the end of the regular season. With head-to-head matchups spread out during the season, each team will probably see the other teams top pitching all season. All of the teams have good enough arms to sweep the season series if they happen to be on when they play. Last year, North and Indy struggled to push enough runs over the plate. Hopewell was inconsistent. Indy and Hopewell are senior led this season. It's going to be a fun year.

6. NCBBallFan

Like I said. New Bern has one of the top '05 righties in the state and two lefties to trot to the mound. I like their chances to be competitive in the east. I'm not saying that they will take Rose in the regular season ... I am looking for them to make the playoffs and be dangerous in the east.

7. NCBBallFan

I accidently omitted Alexander Central from the list of teams that I expect to break into the Top-10.

Lets hear from the Winston-Salem/Greensboro area. I expect West Forsyth to be tough. Is RJR ready to break out this season?

8. rjr4dad

rjr4dad Full Access Member

Reynolds High School will be good again this year, but I'm not sure if they will be better than last year's team since they lost four key seniors to graduation. Austin Boehme (CF), Brad Thomerson (P-SS), Chad Cross (P), and Jordan Wesley (C) will all be difficult to replace.

Mike Hazen (RF) is the only returning senior who started last year. This will be his fourth year on varsity. We need Mike to have a big year at the plate to help offset the loss of last year's seniors. Mike is a good fielder, good hitter, and a fast baserunner. He also has power at bat - he hit a monster homerun at Ernie Shore last year during the Forsyth County tournament. He has a good OB % too since he gets a lot of walks.

Josh Lane (3B-C-P), James LeStrange (1B) and Darryl Shelton (CF) are three other returning seniors. Josh is a good fielder - good hitter who may see considerable time behind the plate. James is a good hitter with power who will get more playing time this year, and Darryl is exceptionally fast in the field and on the basepaths - he runs at least a 6.8 60.

Four juniors return: Torrey Johnson (3b-SS-P), Hampton Foushee (P-LF), Jay Laramore (1B-P), and Nick DeRose (2B-SS). These guys all made the CPC All-Conference team as sophomores (Jay and Nick as honorable mentions). The team will depend heavily on Torrey, Hampton and Jay for pitching this year in order to make up for the loss of Thomerson and Cross. The play of these four juniors will probably determine how successful the team will be this year.

Josh Earp (2B-SS-P) is another junior who will contribute to this year's team. He played JV last year but is a dependable fielder and a good hitter. He should also see spot duty on the mound.

Dustin Johnson (2B-SS), and Francios Byers (C) were MVP's of the JV team last year as freshman. They should make the varsity team this year and add depth to the team.

9. JM15

JM15 Moderator

Tri-7

The Tri-7 is going to be good like always... but this year they get three teams to the playoffs... it figures, the years I play... only two teams went.

Quick Tri-7 rundown:

Fuquay - Lost a ton last year. Return Grayson Evans (OF) and Frankie Lewis (3B). Also have a good catcher coming up but I can't remember his name. Won't be as "dominate" as the last 3 or so years.

Green Hope - they return two division 1 pitchers (Kory Judd - UNCG, Alan DeRatt - UNCA) and another college prospect behind the plate (Steven Newton). also have one of the top juniors around (Todd Eberhart).

Lee County - This is my pick to win the conference. They had about 40 guys on their roster last year it seemed like and I don't think they had many seniors at all. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think last year was their "rebuilding" season, and they were still darn good. The Phillips kid down there is real good.

Cary - my former school. 2 Good senior pitchers... same 2 are the top hitters. Nate Sides (RHP/3B) and Joe Cutler (LHP/UTL). These 2 guys can hit and throw... I hope they get some help from some of the younger guys. JR's, Matt Hopson and Kory Harrilchak should have good seasons. In my opinion (I might be a bit biased), one of the area's top sophomores... Michael Rooney (2B/SS) should have another big year. Rooney started for us last year at 2B and was all-conf honorable mention as a freshman.

Apex - Should be much better than last year. I think they return everyone. Tim Federowicz (C/RHP), Brian Pollard (2B/OF) and Matt Mangini (UTL/slugger - NC STATE) should lead the way for them. If Taylor McCowan (RHP) is back this year, I can't remember if he graduated yet, then he should be their ace.

Middle Creek - they beat Fuquay last year... but not sure if they beat anyone else. Obviously, they return everyone. I can't remember if this is their first senior class... or the oldest class there might be Juniors. Help anyone? Pitcher Nick Morrison (right?) is their man on the mound.

Western Harnett - I couldn't tell ya. Their "ace" from last year graduated... They had a real good catcher down there, but I am not sure of his age.

But the top two teams from around Wake County might be:
    Wake Forest-Rolesville and Millbrook. They will be SOLID in the Raleigh area. Garner should also be good.

I really think Lee Co. will be the 4A team to surprise people next Spring.

Greenville Rose will win the State Title anyways. ;)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2003
  10. drag bunt

drag bunt Junior Member

I like the way you think JM15. Coach Charlie Spivey will have his boys ready to play in Lee County. Look for the Tri-Seven Conf. to go down to the wire with Fuquay, Lee and Green Hope battling for playoff spots. Hey Braves, you have to agree North Meck would be a scary opponent come playoff time. However, any of the top three finishers in the SW4A can make a playoff run. I also want to wish Coach Miller the best of luck this year at Chapel Hill HS, he will have pitchers ready for contention.