1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

3A CHAMPIONSHIP-WEST ROWAN VS GOLDSBORO

Discussion in 'Boys Basketball' started by falcon1, Mar 9, 2003.

1. falcon1

falcon1 Full Access Member

We're down to the final game at Reynolds this Saturday at 7:30 pm. What a ride! It doesn't get any better than this except to add another trophy to the case next Saturday. Does anyone have any inf on Goldsboro as to how we match-up man-to-man, win/loss record, etc. ? Please post. Going for #61 and back to back state championships. GO FALCONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. falcon1

For a recap of the Goldsboro teams recent games check out newsargus.com. GO FALCONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. LakeNormanFan

LakeNormanFan Full Access Member

Thanks for the news-argus and citizen-times tips Falcon1. I still can't figure out why Goldsboro entered the Tourney as only a #4 seed in their conference......:confused:

4. lamboworld

lamboworld Junior Member

Goldsboro should be an easy win for West Rowan. WR by 20.

5. Garnet_and_Gold

Garnet_and_Gold The Master of Disaster!

Yup! Based on what I saw the other day, I can't imagine any team really challenging the Falcons - certainly not a team from the East. I can't believe that Goldsboro is any better than Roberson, and in the end, the Rams just couldn't hang with West Rowan. They did a good job in the first half, but...:hammer: :jawomg:

TornadoPride.com

6. jmanders2003

jmanders2003 Junior Member

Goldsboro vs. West Rowan

Goldsboro did not fare too well in the state polls this year. At the end of the season, they didn't even get an honorable mention. As far as their record is concerned, they have lost 10 games this year. Sounds like they are riding a wave into this state championship. It's too bad that they are riding it into Falcon territory. I look for a doggin' this weekend at Reynolds. I mean, it could get real ugly before it's over with. Goldsboro players and fans, bring a notepad and pen to this game because school is about to begin!! :cool:

7. LakeNormanFan

Goldsboro is a classic example of a team getting hot at the right time (i.e. 1983 NC State "Cardiac Pack").

They kind of remind me of a group of over-acheivers out of Lexington coached by Mike Gurley in 1995 that won it all against Whiteville in the 2A finals. (Lexington beat West Rowan to get there)

The difference is that this time Mike Gurley is on our side and Whiteville sure as hell ain't West Rowan. You've gotta go with the Falcons in this one...........

8. falcon1

Good article in newspaper, Goldsboro News-Argus, for Falcon fans. I would have attached the article but I couldn't get it to work. Sorry. GO FALCONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Tommy_Perkins

Tommy_Perkins Full Access Member

West Rowan will not have a problem with Goldsboro. The East dodged a bullet when Kinston's Jeremy Ingram played his last game of the season against Manteo and then underwent surgery on his knee. With Wake Forest bound Ingram, Kinston would be playing West Rowan for the title. That would be a good game.

Ingram was hobbled aginst Manteo and played little more than a full quarter but still scored 19 as Kinston slipped by Manteo in OT. Had Manteo dodged the Ingram bullet, they very well may have been in the finals against West Rowan. Then it would have been a matter of whether Manteo would have been clicking on the three pointers. Otherwise Manteo would not match up well at all against Rowan.

http://www.kinston.com/details.cfm?StoryID=9376

As a closing note, I got to see JamesOn Curry play two nights in a row. First at North Pitt and then at Minges against West Columbus. He is absolutely amazing, better than I even thought. He has Pistol Pete's dribble, Ali's quick feet, and can flat put in the hole from anywhere.

Best wishes.

From the coast.
    TP

10. LakeNormanFan

Good Post Tommy,
    I think It was one of your posts that I read awhile back about Manteo and I knew you guys would give Kinston a good game (OT!!!)........when Ingram got injured I thought it may be you guys or Hillside in the finals.

THE 3-POINT SHOT: West Rowan defends this well. (except for the two blown defensive assignments in the last minute of the Trinity game). The two best 3-point shooters WR has faced was Josh King of Trinity and Greg Benton of TC Roberson. They forced King into a rare bad shooting night but had to adjust in the second half to stop Benton (off-balance with big guys in his face - BOOM!!!). Benton's shooting eventually met the same fate as many teams; they just get so wore down and tired. West is so physical and athletic not to mention big and well-coached.

Even quick athletic teams with size try to beat West at their own game by pressing the whole game-------this stategy backfired badly on Kings Mountain Friday night and it will probably backfire on Goldsboro as well.

A WARNING TO GOLDSBORO: You cannot wear West Rowan down. Don't even try. You will regret it.

Good luck next year to Manteo (home of a fav. radio station WVOD)