1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

11 reasons to play for your school

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by Dawgfan, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Dawgfan

Dawgfan Full Access Member

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  2. cougarsoftball12

cougarsoftball12 Full Access Member

Great Article, you hear so many families talk about not playing softball and just playing Travel Ball. This could also go with Baseball , Soccer etc.

3. cmmguy

cmmguy *

There may be reasons not to play HS ball but there is no reason to play travel ball over HS ball... none.

Good list.

4. fpdad218

fpdad218 Full Access Member

There are countless reasons under certain circumstances why it is better for a player to not play highschool ball and play travel ball. My daughter is a senior and did not play last year but she played her freshman and sophemore year. She is a pitcher but was never given a chance to pitch varsity . Not one pitch. pitced jv , threw varsity batting practice , only allowed to throw fastballs. threw her movement pitches and changeups but was told to only throw fastballs ! (sometimes with no protective screen). other reasons also but to keep this reply short I wont bore you with those. Try pitching JV all season , then go play elite competion in the toughest pools in 18u showcase and see how well you perform! It took her a tournament or 2 to get back on track and pitch at her optimum level. She has been recruited to pitch at a D 1 college (2012 grad). Being subjected to pitch jv for two years when you are a legitimate D1 level pitcher is a great reason not to play school ball. By the way, she wont be playing highschool ball this spring either, as she has elected to graduate early and will be going to college in Jan. Her college coach opened the door for that option and she wants her there to help pitch this spring! And she wants to go. Some times you cant push a wall down but God will lead you through another door to get you where you need to be!!

5. slick50

slick50 Full Access Member

PLAYING FOR SCHOOL

A little off subject here but I have a question. An assistant coach for my daughters high school wants to take a group of team players and play a travel tourney. What are the guidelines? Number of players he can take? Dead periods? Thanks!!

6. softballphreak

softballphreak Full Access Member

7. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

eight or less........paid or volunteer, either way, rules apply

8. slick50

slick50 Full Access Member

Tourney

Trying to understand! 8 players, paid coach at school, October, yes or no!!!

9. softballphreak

softballphreak Full Access Member

Yes! 8 players or less (same 8 players per day), no dead periods in October. It must not be required! Open to all, required of none.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  10. Gman13'sdad

Gman13'sdad Full Access Member

enjoy every moment

I liked the list and agree with it. Not every player will find the perfect situation at thier school but it can be fun if you let it!

fpdad, I understand the frustration but don't completely agree with the outcome. My son went through the same thing in baseball... jv for two years then two years of varsity. The end result was he was the only player from his school that year (2nd all time) to sign a DI scholarship.

Sometimes we get in too big of a hurry for our kids to reach certain goals. If it's to be, it will be!