1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

#1 pick Bush arrested

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by baseball11, Jun 22, 2004.

1. baseball11

baseball11 Full Access Member

I saw it on the bottom line watching espn right before i went to work. suspended indefinitly by the padres for now. said something about traspassing and a couple other violations.

2. NC04DAD

NC04DAD Junior Member

3. matrix123

matrix123 Full Access Member

#1 pick arrested

There is a link about it on cbssportsline.com

4. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Yeah, I read about it this morning. I wonder what effect this will have on GM's drafting HS players with their top picks in the future. Between Matt Bush and Josh Hamilton #1 draft choice (cocaine addiction), you wonder if they will take that risk again.

5. NCBBallFan

NCBBallFan Retired ex-moderator

I agree Braves ... I don't believe that anyone is doubting his ability, but the maturity issues seem to come into play.

6. Braves

Exactly..you can't blame a team making a $3 million investment to conclude HS players haven't reached a maturity level that they strive. But then again, when it comes to MLB it is all smoke and mirrors. They say one thing and do another.

It sure didn't hurt Seattle in their selections of Arod and Griffey and both were pushed to the ML level before they turned 20.

Heck, if you are paying someone that kind of money...for an extra 40 grand...they can pay for a babysitter.

7. JM15

JM15 Moderator

I honestly would like to hear more about this story. Sounds to me like someone just picked a fight with him... There is no excuse for his actions, but I have a feeling that he was a target of some people around there just because of popularity and money.... :nono:

Nevermind.... I just read the description from that link (the cbssportsline info. doesn't got as much details).

What an idiot. I would take $45 and a bus ticket to the minors and be happy.... :teeth:

8. Braves

:D:D...that's why I love ya, man!!!

9. The "O"

The "O" Full Access Member

Didn t read the article!

but in my opinion it is the maturity level of the 17/18 y/o! I had a player drafted in a late round in 1990 right out of HS who was an absolute STUD yet was pretty immature! He was capable of making it academically in college but didn t want to commit to the work. He would have excelled on the diamond AND football AND basketball court if he wanted!!! Bottom line Brewers offered him 40K to sign and done deal! Problem was this! He came back from home from a succesful 1st season and rookie ball got hangin out with the ole boys on the block and DONE deal. Caught at the wrong place wrong time (drug deal?) shot in the back of the leg and career OVER!!!!!!!!!! period! He was one of my most favorite and memmorable of players I coached NOT JUST for his talent but an awesome personality ABSOLUTE great kid! :huh: :thinking: :huh: :thinking: :nono:

10. sugarjet

sugarjet Full Access Member

Mom

Everyone dreams of going pro, but if my son would have had the opportunity to be in Bush's shoes he would not have had to worry about trying to be going into a club, because I would be in Arizona with him! Think of Kobe Bryant (even though he now has gotten into some trouble) when he went to the NBA out of high school his mom and dad kept him close and grounded and he lived at home with them. Just because a kid is 18 and he has a 3 million dollar contract doesn't mean he has the maturity to be with older men. Sounds like the brother wasn't quite leading him down the right road either. I can hear it now, the brother's talking the parents into letting the 23 year old live with the 18 year old and "take care of him." One just never knows.