1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

#1 Goes Down

Discussion in 'Boys Basketball' started by The Warden, Feb 13, 2004.

1. The Warden

The Warden Full Access Member

#1 Freedom was dismantled by the East Burke Cavaliers, 84-67, before a packed house at East Burke. This loss for Freedom snapped an impressive string of 46 consecutive wins in the regular season, but still the Patriots have won an 50 of the last 52 games. Freedom ends the regular season with a record of 23-1 while the Cavs are now 22-2.

With East Burke's win, the Cavs and Patriots clinched a share of the Northwestern 4A Conference championship. But, since both teams are tied, there will be a coin flip tomorrow morning to determine which team gets the #1 seed and the bye, while the #2 seed must play on Tuesday night at home versus the #7 seed (most likely Alexander Central). However, the #1 seed for the State 4A Playoffs will be determined by who goes farthest in the Nw4A Tournament at McDowell. If both East Burke and Freedom fail to reach the finals, then a play-in game will be played to determine who gets the #1 seed and a bye in the first round.

2. rams12bb

rams12bb Full Access Member

Who won the Mcdowell-AC Reynolds boys game?

3. CFBall

CFBall Senior Member

wow what a nice twist in the NW4A...........any stats but the local fishwraps get going?

4. Pflip1969

Pflip1969 Junior Member

This is unofficial. I help with the East Burke radio and keep some stats. They may not add up to 84-67.

East Burke:
    Chris Rhyder 10 pts, 5 reb, 5 ast.
    Jeremey Yancey 14 pts 5 ast
    John Decker 15 pts, 6 ast
    Shane Taylor 22 pts, 15 reb
    Joel Efrid 10 pts
    Jordan Davis 1 pt
    Matt Waldon 9 pts, 4 reb
    Andy McCall 5 pts

Freedom (I only track points & fouls)
    Dwight Johnson 21 pts
    Chris Moore 15 pts
    Stoney Polite 10 pts
    Aaron Bolds 13 pts
    Jonathan Brawley 2 pts
    Jerald Propst 5 pts

Hope this helps. East Burke played an incredible second half and had 32 points in the fourth quarter.

5. The Warden

McDowell def. A.C. Reynolds, 76-71.

McDowell will get the 3rd seed while it appears that there will be a four-way tie as South Caldwel lost to Alexander Central (from what Ive heard, I dont have a score to confirm), creating the tie with Reynolds loss and Watauga's loss to East Burke on Monday. These four teams have a 3-9 record in conference play and have sub-500 records. Most likely, there will be a series of play-in games to see who will get the final playoff spot from the Nw4A.

6. CFBall

CFBall Senior Member

wouldnt it be nice to just flip a coin with this one??

Good luck to the winner thought!

7. The Warden

You'd think that would be a good way to do that?? But since a playoff spot is on the line, looks like the mini-tournament will wind up being played.

8. CFBall

CFBall Senior Member

with all 3-9 in the conference............yep....9-3 in the conference NO!

9. rams12bb

rams12bb Full Access Member

I think the playoff spot goes to the team that goes the farthest in the conference tourney.

I think this is the results after this mornings draw. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

#5 Watauga at #4 Alexander
    #6 AC Reynolds at #3 McDowell
    #7 South Caldwell at #2 East Burke (also a result of a draw)

Freedom got the bye as a result of the draw with East Burke. Again, I believe this is correct, but if I'm wrong someone post the corrections.

10. The Warden

Wow!!! Isnt it amazing that Alexander Central had th worst overall record in the conference and now has the best opportunity to get into the playoffs!

But, I have a bad feeling about the Reynolds-McDowell matchup. McDowell only beat Reynolds last night by 5 and its tough to win 3 consecutive games in one season over someone. Aaron Collazo scorched McDowell for 27 and has led the Rockets to some big wins this season over Roberson and North Buncombe. Do not be surprised if Reynolds knocks off McDowell and faces the SC-EB winner in the semis.