1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

SHOWCASE vs AMERICAN LEGION

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Knuckleball, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Knuckleball

Knuckleball Junior Member

I was wondering what you thoughts are in comparing the two. Personally, I have seen both and there seems to be NO comparison what so ever. Showcase teams are very very deep with talent, (MPO) better coaching and gives the player more of an opportunity to be seem. While at the same time, American Legion teams (Jr. & Senior) have very good players, it just seems to me that some (not all) of the coaches are nothing but rec coaches coaching their sons. I would like to hear from anyone that actually CAN compare both. I know that some out there think that american legion is the way to go, but why?

2. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

We've had this discussion many times before and it always revolves into a heated discussion.

I'm sure it depends on the area, but I have found the Legion coaches to be outstanding. Many are Hall of Famer type coaches with resumes a mile long. You will find that areas like Cherryville, Shelby, Kannapolis, Caldwell County, etc. are the only way to go. The support they have from their community makes the players almost reverent. They are treated like superstars, travel in custom buses and eat meals reserved for major league ball players. There is nothing that compares to this. They are playing for pride in their community and everyday at all of the businesses the only discussion allowed is, "Are we going to win tonight?" The experience those players get from playing in those communities can never be duplicated.

I am a proponent of playing Legion in the summer and showcase in the fall. That formula has worked successfully for most players participating in Legion baseball. The one concern is not every community has A.L. or it is poorly organized, but the same can be said for some "Showcase" teams.

It's a win/win situation because either way, it creates more opportunites to play baseball.

3. tools

tools Full Access Member

Knuckball, What area are you from, as braves said most of the coaches in Area III have been coaching for a long time, there are alot of HS coaches coaching the senior teams. Also, I know personally that numerous Junior teams are coached by HS coaches.

And As braves said you can go back and look this subject has been beat to death on this board.

4. Dawgswood

Dawgswood Full Access Member

Braves, make believe this thread is horse with a broken leg and euthanize it now! Pls dont make us go thru the annual agony of this war.

5. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Perhaps it should be moved to American Legion forum. Those guys will be very welcoming to this subject.

Sorry knuckleball. I know you are looking for honest feedback, but this subject is a sore subject and tends to have posters lineup on each side of the fence.

6. tools

tools Full Access Member

Don't move it there, I would just as soon see it die out due to lack of interest

7. OurPasttime713

OurPasttime713 Full Access Member

It all depends on the player.

I have played both, and I can definitely see how people would argue on both sides of the fence. There are pros and cons about each.

In Legion ball, it's certainly true that you're playing for pride for your hometown or for your community. That's the coolest part about it. Some of the teams we play against clearly are this way. They have huge crowds to support them at the games, and the players are excited to step out there on the field every night and represent their area. Some of the Legion coaches are "legendary" figures and are extremely knowledgable baseball people.

However, it's also true that not every Legion post is this organized or this well-ran. Some teams do not have respectable coaches in place, and some teams have coaches that are biased towards players from certain high schools, etc. When the legion playoffs start (best of 7 series's), I've heard of kids from some areas who just cannot wait to lose and get their season over with. Others truly want to win and keep advancing throughout the summer and bring a championship back to their home town.

As for showcase, it has its benefits too. Showcase obviously gives a player a better chance to be seen by college and pro scouts. Most every showcase coach I can think of is not only full of knowledge about the game, but well-respected and well-connected to these college and pro scouts. It gives elite players a chance to play with other kids from across the state who are on the same level as them.

However, with showcase ball you don't get the same historic community feel that you get by playing legion. Instead of trying to represent your area and win a big game for the town each night, the games themselves are basically meaningless. Showcase games are played for the name on the back of the jersey, not for the name on the front. You don't get the same fan support or the same competitive nature of the games.

If the player is looking to have some free time in the summer, I would suggest playing showcase. Most showcase teams do not hold regular practices (if so, maybe once a week), and the games are only played on the weekends. This gives the player the weekdays to be a 'regular kid' and enjoy himself during the week. If the player is an underclassman who wants to play in college but isn't signed yet, showcase may be the best option.

But heck, I'm old school. For some kids, there's nothing they'd rather be doing every day of their summer than playing ball. If that's the case, I'd suggest legion. Legion teams typically play 5-6 games per week. I think this is great for players who are already headed to college to play because it gets you used to the grind of playing nearly every day, both mentally and physically. Plus, the legion games are all 9 innings long.

In my personal opinion, if your local legion program is well-ran, legion is the way to go. Not everyone is this fortunate though, and showcase certainly isn't a bad option for your kid either.

8. sportsmom

sportsmom Full Access Member

First of all, I have no opinion of which is better. From my perspective, the quality of play whether in AL, Rec ball, Showcase etc. is unique to each area and therefore 'one size' doesn't fit all. Just as with other decisions, examine what is in your area and do what is best for your child. There are so many things to consider....coaches, teammates, expense, time, effects on other family members, quality of 'individuals' (that you are surrounding yourselves with) as people and not just players, etc. In my opinion, baseball is about more than just becoming a great player, so there are lots of things to consider...again, that's just my opinion.

What I do find disturbing, is that when someone comes looking for information, there are certain topics that are almost 'taboo' because long time posters have seen it all, heard it all, before. I do understand that certain topics may have become old and controversial to some, but to those who are really looking for help, they are being done a disservice. Once we reach the point of 'knowing it all', we cease to learn and I would love to believe that the people who find this site, tomorrow, next week, and next year will have things to offer on this subject and many others that will help me to learn.

Maybe instead of making subjects 'taboo' because in the past they have been controversial, those who choose to be controversial should be punished/warned/banned, etc. instead of those who are new to the site and are really wanting to learn about a variety of issues.

It might also be helpful to new posters that might not be familiar with site navigation, that if a topic has been discussed at length before, if someone who has been here a while could just post a link of the previous thread that contained the info. being sought.

I know I might be in the minority, and I understand that I don't have to 'moderate' all that goes on, but this board offers so much great info. that I hate to see those looking for real answers or discussions about any subject
    be given the shaft because of the behavior of others in the past.

Anyway....just my .02.

Happy Fathers Day to you all!

9. Collin

Collin get in there get in there

Translation: "I don't actually care what you think, I'm going to tell you what to think."
    If you really believe that, then why ask the question?
    This is an extremely offensive and ignorant statement to make. American Legion coaches tend to be long-time high school coaches with far more experience than anyone involved with Showcase. These are men who are skilled at more than just marketing. The Showcase circuit represents some of the worst aspects of baseball, including the promotion of the individual above the team and the relentless exploitation of young mens' dreams. Often that sort of focus teaches kids the wrong lessons, giving them big heads, separating them from their teammates, and making them hard to deal with.
    Because even if you are lucky enough to have the talent to make a living playing baseball, you're much better off learning to be a good teammate and playing to win rather than only being concerned with your stats and what scouts think about your potential. A guy who develops a good mental approach and who loves the game will generally have an easier time through professional baseball than someone who has been constantly coddled and turned into a self-involved prima donna. And that's for the people who actually make it. For the vast majority who don't, the life lessons learned by playing as a team obviously have much more of a positive impact on life in the working world than the individualism stressed in Showcase.

If you have the talent to make a living playing baseball, scouts will find you even if you play backyard ball in Timbuktu, so that's not an issue. The question is how these options affect the development of the player, and while I respect your right to disagree (although not the reasons you have given for your disagreement), I believe that American Legion is much better both at preparing the lucky few for life as a professional ballplayer and the rest of us for life off the diamond.

10. OurPasttime713

OurPasttime713 Full Access Member

I agree with all of that except the line where you said that if you can play the scouts will find you even if you play backyard baseball in Timbuktu. The baseball recruiting scene is changing, and IMPACT is taking over. Players must make a constant effort to market themselves or they will get overlooked. You are fine playing legion ball though, as long as your high school coach and/or your legion coach is working to promote his players who have a desire to play at the next level to the college coaches.