1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

metal cleats - injuries this year.

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by cheeze105, Apr 24, 2009.

1. CatchersDad

CatchersDad Senior Member

Wingate vs. Carson Newman

Saw Wingate's Junior catcher take a cleat to her glove hand upper wrist, several stitches and out for the duration of this conference tournament championship game. No malice on the squeeze play, proper positioning by the catcher, just one of those things. In my opinion metal is ok if all players are properly trained. Totally agree with Phreak................
    "The other team is your competition--not your enemy! Without the other team you have no one to play!"
    Dad

2. softball247

softball247 Full Access Member

Full Circle

It's interesting to note that the whole situation of metal versus plastic cleats has come full circle. I can remember in the late 1990's into early 2000's when HS and TB teams went from allowing metal cleats to banning them in favor of plastic. The reason(s) sited then was the numerous injuries that came from metal - specifically the torn legs from players sliding into each other. I can remember playing baseball at the time and seeing a shortstop's leg torn open from knee down to ankle from a player sliding into 2B. The cut required 65 stiches to close.

Why have we reverted back to metal cleats? Is it just because college coaches want it so players are familiar with the metal cleat by the time they hit the NCAA softball field? At the teenage years of HS and TB it would seem more beneficial to everyone to keep all the players limbs intact rather than learning how to learn the metal cleat running and sliding techniques.

It will be interesting to see if we ultimately end up back where we started with the banning of metal cleats once again due to the number of injuries.

3. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

sums it up pretty good, and a great take on the whole issue. glad you did your research, as i was beginning to wonder if i was the only one who remembered that (tellin my age it is)