1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

metal cleats - injuries this year.

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by cheeze105, Apr 24, 2009.

1. softballphreak

softballphreak Full Access Member

That's more or less what I was thinking--that the technique may be a big part of the problem. We need more of this type of input from players that have used metal cleats for years. Probably a lot of info could be gleaned from baseball on this subject.

One thing I have noticed is that on some cleats there is a cleat right at the end of the heel (3 cleats total in a half-circle pattern). Some cleats don't have the one cleat at the end of the heel. If it were mine and it had a cleat right at the end I would file that cleat off. That way there would be less chance of it catching and causing injury.

2. bolo2

bolo2 Full Access Member

It's in the Technique...so true

Poor sliding /running techniques will get you hurt if you are weariing Keds.
    My DD won't take the field in anything but metal. She likes the added traction in the grass, and the dirt. They are lighter than molded and help her run faster. She wears the new Mizuno replaceables at TB games. They are the closest thing to metal.
    Defenders can get hurt by metal or plastic. Especially if their glove hand gets jammed. If anyone sharpens metal, they are out of line. Sharpening them will only make them shorter, and could increase the injury factor.
    I encourage my DD to stay off the concrete.. and wear flip flops off the field. this seems to work.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  3. cmmguy

cmmguy *

To determine the effect of metal cleats on injuries, you would need to have injury data from previous non-metal cleat years. A baseline of data to compare to. Anecdotal reports of injuries that are guessed to be caused by metal cleats wont have much meaning.

4. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

when i made these phone calls, i asked for injuries that were directly attributed to wearing steel cleats. i also asked how many injuries would they have had in a "normal" year without steel cleats, and every coach i talked to who had injuries stated that ankle sprains and knees sprains are a norm for softball, but with the addition of steel cleats, those injuries seem to be occurring not only more often, but the injuries occurring are on a more severe level than before. the torn/partialy severed tendon i talked about occured when a steel toe cleat torn opened the back of a girls ankle as she was receiving the throw at second (coach stated it looked really intentional, but things happen).

this survey isnt a pure blind, fully funded ten year in the making study, its just a few facts from some local conferences in reference to the "possibility" that steel cleats are causing more injuries than previously experienced by rubber cleats.

i'm glad that our members are still expressing their pros and cons about this issue, and the only opinion i have is what i have witnessed: more runners are intentionally trying to cleat a defensive player and i've seen some very ugly slides as the toe or heel cleat digs in and ankles/knees try to bend in directions they weren't meant to bend in.

as far as sharpening cleats, a coach who allows this or knows about this should no longer be a coach in my opinion and the player should be removed asap. i talked to a local ump last night at our game, and he stated that they are starting to inspect shoes as part of the pre-game inspection. any evidence of sharpened or altered cleats will not be allowed.

5. cmmguy

cmmguy *

:bounce: I appreciate that... If you go back to when metal cleats were first announced that they were allowed, I was against them... injuries being the main reason. I only wish they would keep statistics of some sort to validate the change in policies especially one as important as metal cleats.

6. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

i agree cmmguy. a movement is underway from some local ad's to petition the state to remove the ok for metal cleats. if the rumors about sharpening or altering metal cleats are true, and can be documented, it shouldnt be too hard to force their hand.

7. softballphreak

softballphreak Full Access Member

I think the bad sportsmanship is what needs to be removed--not the metal cleats. From what I've read on this thread the metal cleats are not the problem. It sounds to me that not training the players how to use them is part of the problem. Another more serious part is not teaching sportsmanship. Who allows their players to intentionally hurt another kid--with or without cleats? Anyone who thinks that hurting another player is ok if it helps you win doesn't care about the kids or the sport.

I'm sure there have been some situations where the cleats have actually prevented injury. Especially on a hard field or wet grass.

8. scfan

scfan Full Access Member

That is exactlly what I'm talking about. You must remember when we are talking about high school at least 50% of the players are seasonal players and don't get the righ instruction in many aspects of the game and with the wrong technique in useing metal cleats injuries are the result. I just think at the high school level we would be better served to stick with rubber

9. scfan

scfan Full Access Member

You are exactlly right. Thing is we can't really control that as many of the high school coaches are math, science, english, ect teachers who themselves don't know the correct way to do some the things in fastpitch. The one thing we can control however is whether the metal are allowed or not. When they decided to allow metal I thought it was funny that they made the girls wear a face mask on their helment but then put metal cleats on their feet to slde into or step on other girls not to mention twisting their own ankles or knees

10. betterbatter

betterbatter Full Access Member

I see really good softball players all the time who have lousy sliding technique. These are the players who are more at risk for sliding related injuries, metal cleats or not. Travel and school coaches need to do their jobs and teach these kids to slide right. Parents who are currently coaching their young daughters need to teach them properly from day one.

Metal cleats do not slip as easily and are allowing the high school players who wear them to play more aggressively. Requiring rubber cleats in high school in order to cover up for lack of training should not even be considered.

In high school, metal cleats are an option, not a requirement. They are certainly not the best choice for every player on every team. Parents can buy whichever they choose for their kid.