1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Freddy Suggs Player Evaluations

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Braves, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

This is something that has been needed for a long time. For those of you that may not know, Coach Suggs is a professional scout. He is trained to evaluate talent for the major league clubs. It has been his desire to go on the other side of the fence, which led to his commitment in developing his new venture.

Freddy has developed a detailed evaluation report that may be adopted by the MLB Scouting Bureau. I've seen it and it is much more detailed. But a report is only as good as the person who is doing it and there is no one better at doing this than Coach Suggs. What he has created is an opportunity for families to get a realistic idea of where their son stands in his talent level. Is he a professional talent? College talent (D1, D2, D3 or JUCO?) Can he develop into a good HS player? What are his strengths? Weaknesses? Who can he go see to develop his skills in the area that he lives?

To my knowledge, there is no one else, with Coach Suggs credentials, that is doing this. As a parent, we are never clear about our son's potential. We have to base our opinion against the talent he plays and the success he has attained. Sadly, after traveling from tournament to tournament and spending an inordinate amount of money to help him achieve his dreams, we find out way too late that our opinion was not correct and we did not choose the correct path. Coach Sugg's is willing to help families choose the correct path.

For those that want to take advantage of Coach Freddy Suggs individual evaluations or want to discuss the details of what he does with the evaluations, you may contact him at the following address:

Central Carolina Baseball
    261 Wire Grass Rd.
    Rockingham, NC 28379
    910-461-3753

2. drpepper#1

drpepper#1 Junior Member

email

Do you have an email address for coach Suggs??

Thanks

3. One Putt

One Putt Full Access Member

This is much needed. :cheers2:

4. Bonsway

Bonsway Full Access Member

I wonder what the cost would be for such a service.

5. spartanball

spartanball Full Access Member

6. Braves

Although I know the cost, I'm wondering what people think is appropriate?

Let me share a story that Coach May and I have discussed. We have watched parents spend a lot of money to enter their son in specific tournaments: Tournaments that were attended by mostly D1 schools. Unfortunately, their son was not a D1 player and received no feedback from anyone. Obviously, he would have been better served attending a tournament that was scouted by schools that would have had interest. But that was not the case and the investment gave little return.

I could speak for days about the recruiting process, but if one is going to enter this abyss, it's better to "know" where your son fits, then to go in blindly. And there are very few professionals that are better to determine this than Freddy Suggs. He does not have a team to fill his roster. He does not have an academy to recruit players. He does not offer hitting, catching or pitching clinics. So there are no hidden agendas for him to slant his evaluations. He's going to do what he always does. He's going to be honest and straight forward. You may or may not like the results, but he's going to tell you the way it is...and if you really think about it, isn't that what you really want to know? The truth?

7. Bonsway

Bonsway Full Access Member

Absolutely. I have a series of questions I could ask...but honestly, I get it and it's probably a great service and in the scenario you describe, it makes perfect sense.

8. One Putt

One Putt Full Access Member

Amen Braves.

No matter what the price, some will find it a value, some will not. Based on everything I hear about Freddy, most people will be happy with some honesty, a few will claim it's just one guys opinion and what does he know. What I like about it is he's not trying to get you to sign up for lessons, not trying to recruit you to a team. Just an opinion from a knowledgeable person in the field. He really doesn't have a dog in the fight, so to speak.

9. coachevans26

coachevans26 Full Access Member

Freddy will offer an honest evaluaion and will not tell you what you want to hear. He will tell it as it is!! However if you dont agree he will tell you to prove him wrong.

Does not do it to make money but to hepl kids. If you're MLB material you'll hear it, otherwise he will call it as he sees it...

10. Braves

One Putt- I believe for the very few that might speculate that it's "just one man's opinion" would speak poorly of their view. Anyone with any authority or substance of evaluating baseball talent would never dismiss Freddy's observation. They may not always agree with everything he says, but they would never dismiss it.

But, quite honestly, I doubt Freddy gives a hoot what anyone thinks one way or another. He's providing this service to help the kids. If people really don't want his help, it's no big deal to him. But I believe, based on all the emails and PM's he receives, there are too many out there that are asking for his help.

I'm very careful on whom I endorse and what I endorse. This is something I asked Coach Suggs if I could post as a benefit to our members. I hope those that read this thread treat it like that...as a benefit.